MSN article "10 biggest box office failures"

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Vlad D, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Here is a link to an article I read on MSN today. According to them, there have been much worse bombs than Gigli.

2. Al Stuart

Al Stuart Stunt Coordinator

Well the biggest bomb in terms of domestic gross isn't even mentioned, and that's Final Fantasy, which lost just a little over $100 million dollars in the US, and also shut down a studio (Square Pictures folded after its failure). If you read carefully, these are not the biggest bombs ever, these are the biggest bombs according to MSN.

...it's certainly not the biggest flop ever to grace the big screen. Not even close. That dubious honor is shared by 10 films (well, 11, including a war-themed double bill) that tanked so spectacularly that their failures shut down studios and ended careers. So, without further ado, here are our picks for the 10 biggest turkeys of all time..

3. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

I think everyone is just hounding 'Gigli' so much because of Ben and Jen. I mean I'm not a fan of the film and will probably never see it but there are far worse failures out there and this film may be unfairly biased...or may just be bad anyway, who knows.

4. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

Arrrggg. I like Howard the Duck. Guess I shouldn't hold my breath for a 4 disk DVD special edition with Howard book ends. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. TommyT

TommyT Stunt Coordinator

Tom
    I think Waterworld should've been incl anyway simply because of the financial fiasco involved. Or maybe that's a different subj for another forum...

My favorite off that list is Hudson Hawk. I watch it in bits n' pieces every time Comedy Central shows it. Favorite moment:

Hawk: BUNNY!! (woof?) BAW-BAW!!

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

What financial fiasco? In the info about "The Postman," it says "Waterworld" eventually broke even.

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

David - fine, you can take you Howard the Duck bookends. I want bookends of Lea! [​IMG]

Glenn

8. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I admit, I saw both Waterworld and The Postman in theater and enjoyed both. Of course, I was also in my early teens, so maybe I should revisit them now and see what I think.

9. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Supporting Actor

Waterworld was one of those movies people loved to hate. I was preparing for the worst and liked it when I saw it.

10. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

It's a pretty decent list, but of course, like anything in movies, it isn't a "gold standard" list.

Cleopetra was an interesting case, and what the article pointed out (the trivia section) is certainly the popular opinion, but according to the excellent documentary made by (I think) HBO, the movie actually made all the money back within 2-3 years. Unlike the other movies on the list, a lot of the over budget was totally unexpected, much of the expenses was overtime pay when Liz was sick (and close to death at one point), may be they should have pulled the plug (on the movie[​IMG] )...

Another thing, and I beleive it was discussed on the forum here off and on, is movie business accounting are, "funny". The writer of A Few Good Men (also just quit/fired from West Wing) was on Charlie Rose yesterday, and he said he has a profit sharing position with A Few Good Men, the movie costed $42M to make, at this point has a world wide gross of $350M, but there's no profit yet[​IMG] .

11. TommyT

TommyT Stunt Coordinator

Tom

Indeed, it might have broken even but that means it didn't turn much of a profit. It only made $88.2 million domestically. It earned a lot of money in Europe & elsewhere outside the US, $167 mill. Supposedly a film has to earn twice as much as it's budget (WW cost about $175 mill) to break even, which would mean a total of $350 mill.

What I was really getting at was the financial & other hardships the production endured; the sinking of the slave colony, how the cast & crew got gouged by the businesses in the Hawaiian town where they shot the film, how the spot they picked on the big island of Hawaii was one of the windiest & stormiest spots in the Pacific & it caused the shoot to be frequently delayed, how Costner & director Kevin Reynolds battled over creative content issues until Reynolds abandoned the film near the end. It sort of fits the whole Ishtar mode of the list; a film endures every conceivable problem imaginable.

What really needs to be addressed (but not here) is that our culture, esp the entertainment industry & esp the film industry, has this NOW! NOW! NOW! NOW! mentality that says that a film has to recoup its costs w/in a few days wks or the studios will suffer unimaginable hardship. Waterworld might have eventually made some money but the media jumped all over the fact that it cost so much & didn't earn very quickly.

12. Stephen_Dar

Stephen_Dar Stunt Coordinator

I don't know why this list suggests Gigli is "not even close" to those on the list. By my reading of the math, it would be in the top 5 or so. Figure:

cost $56 million to make, millions more to promote,
    took in only $3.8 million 1st weekend
    Took in only $678,640 second weekend (bringing total to $5,660,084) despite being in 2215 theaters.

Wow! I mean, this thing looks like it's going to stall right around 5 or 6 million, where a bunch of those on their list made back half or more of the cost of the film.

13. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Pluto Nash and Battlefield Earth certainly were bombs. Those I agree with. Howard the Duck is a bomb but nowhere near as bad. Not sure about Cleopatra.

14. Jarod M

Jarod M Stunt Coordinator

The article says "of all time." Of course, what "of all time" really means is since Star Wars(1977). [​IMG]

15. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

Well, since 14 years prior to Star Wars (Cleopatra), anyway.

I seem to recall 1943's Wilson being a big flop, but I haven't seen the film nor do I know the full story.

Evan

16. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Jeez! Am I the only person on the face of the planet who actually and truly likes Cutthroat Island? Sure, some of the jokes were campy ("I've got your balls"), but I never felt that urge to say, "Come on, come on. Get moving." (I even feel that way during some movies like Star Trek II.) and I thought that the music by John Debney was well done - strong but not overbearing.

** sigh ** Oh, well. To each his own. [​IMG]

17. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

19. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I also liked Cutthroat Island, although the ship battle is one of the things that frustrated me about the movie, since I wanted there to be a ship battle in the open sea, with the ships trying to out maneuver each other instead of opening up on each other while anchored at point blank range [​IMG] Alas, even Pirates of the Caribbean had a pretty lame ship battle.

Anyone see that documentary on the Trio network, The Blockbuster Imperative? I thought that was interesting, especially the point that Ishtar is often used as a standard for huge bombs, yet nowadays each year has multiple Ishtar-sized bombs because of all the mega-budget films coming out all year long.

20. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt