What's new

MS Windows Updates--EVERY DAY? (1 Viewer)

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I have two Win2k boxes and every night for the past 4 nights the Windows Update downloads a patch for Media Player. Once I can see, twice, hey maybe they goofed up something, but it's downloaded the patch 4 nights in a row now, and my other PC is downloading it now, again.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I believe it's the same patch every time, some security patch for Media Player 6.4.

I suppose the one upside of this one is it doesn't make me reboot everytime, but it's still annoying. But since it's happening on both my PCs I know it isn't one of those one-time glitches, it is probably something on MS's end. (Like that never happens!)

Thanks... KJP

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I turned off that automatic update. just hit tools->windows update every once and a while and you'll be fine :D.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I'm getting it on my work PC too. Q320920: Security Update (Windows Media Player 6.4). It's an update to the "26 June 2002 Cumulative Patch for Windows Media Player". I've installed it like 4 or 5 times now and it still comes up as a new update.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Have you considered just upgrading to WMP 9? WMP 6.x was a bloated piece of horrible software anyway...WMP 9 is 100 times better.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I think I'll infect my computer with a few viruses before I'll install WMP 9, of course it's a virus too isn't it? :)

KJP

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I think I'll infect my computer with a few viruses before I'll install WMP 9, of course it's a virus too isn't it?
Wow.
Ok...I was skeptical too before I tried it. However, WMP 9 is the real deal. It's what MusicMatch and WinAmp wish they could be. It still has minor issues but the WMP team has been very good about improving this version. The only media player I've found that really compares is J.River's Media Jukebox & Media Center.

If you're stuck using WMP 6.x you need to crawl out of the 1990's and update some software. :) Really, that was among the worst releases ever. You really can't comment on the current state of media players if you're still using it.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Well, perhaps it's because not everyone wants an all-singing-all-dancing app loading every time they want to hear a quick wav file. I don't know how you can say WMP 6.x is bloated. It takes like a nanosecond to load on my system (which is hardly state of the art) and is idea for quick playback.

The later versions all take longer to load and are stuffed with unnecessary features (well, unnecessary to me). MS keep the 6.4 version around (mplayer2.exe) because they know not everyone wants the bells-and-whistles version.

I run Windows XP on a second box and the version of WMP in that has a little slider bar when playing video files full screen (appears when the mouse is moved). I've tried the later version on my W2K box and none have the slider bar - why not?

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Version 9 is nowhere near as good as winamp for mp3's. I guess its usable for video, but I absolutely hate the interface. All these little widgets all over that don't resemble anything and make me learn how to use it all over again. I don't want a menu bar, I don't want a web browser window, I don't want curvy artsy windows, just give me a small, rectange with the basics.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
If you're stuck using WMP 6.x you need to crawl out of the 1990's and update some software.
It's the version that came with Win2K and I don't really care since I only use it to play the occasional mpeg video that someone emails me a link to. :) As such, I don't see any point in upgrading it. But this time when the update popped up (again) I told it to snooze for 3 days. Maybe MS will get their act together by then and stop sending me the SAME update everytime my machine bothers to check the server.

KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks