MS Media Player 9 and files help, please

Discussion in 'Computers' started by dan fritzen, Feb 18, 2004.

1. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

I have 200 GB of mp3's connected to WM9 and the address changed from the IP to a new IP, so I searched out the new mp3's and that worked but now I still have all the old mp3's and I need to get rid of them, any easy ways of doing this? The only thing I can do right now is click an artist and delete from library, but I have to do this for every artist, with 200 GB this is no quick thing.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I'm confused. [​IMG] 200GB locally on your home network.. why would WM9 need to fool with IPs??

3. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I had a similar problem. I needed to delete some copied songs in my WMP9 playlist that, for some reason, were added twice when I copied a folder over. I figured instead of having to manually delete them I would just reinstall WMP9 and copy all the folders over from scratch. Of course, Microsoft decided that uninstalling WMP9 isn't an option for windows users since its a "integral part" of the operating system. So in the end, I ended up manually deleting them.

I have looked for an easier way to delete media in groups within WMP9 but so far the only thing I have found is the painstaking long task of doing so individually. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this for us....

4. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

I figured it out, I did a search on the IP address and it found all songs from that IP and removed them that way, but with 200GB it took 3 hours to delete all of them.

Now I just have to find all those songs i liked and rate them 4 stars again [​IMG]

WM9 is not very user friendly with this though, since the link does not exist I cannot select the delete from playlist entry, I have to select delete from library so it wants to delete the physical file first.

5. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

may i suggest you use winamp instead of that bloated ms software [​IMG]

6. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

I like Winamp 5 but it is bloated compared to MW9 when you have 200 GB of mp3's in your media library. Winamp eats 100MB of RAM!!!

7. Mike Fassler

heh if you have 512 megs of ram or more its not really an issue. i have around that many mp3's as well. thats why you put them on a seperate machine and play across the network [​IMG]

8. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Whats the deal with the IP's?

If you want to delete a bunch of files at once go to media library and then select all music. Sort the files by whatever method best groups the files which you wish to delete(ie: filename, type, acquisition time etc.) then just use shift and or control click(s) to select the files you want deleted. Then just right click and select delete from library, making sure 'delete from library and my computer is selected'.

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

umm...how does IP addresses even relate to winmedia and mp3's??? [​IMG]

10. Mike Fassler

hehe they dont [​IMG]

11. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Thanks MikeFR for the info [​IMG]