MS& EA looking at possibly buying Sega

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe michaels, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

http://www.msnbc.com/news/878704.asp?0cv=CB10&cp1=1

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Again.

This rumour keeps popping up.

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Reported on Reuters as well yesterday:

EA and MS bid

Also reported today:

Sega stocks jump

To say that I would prefer both companies to keep thier hands off is the understatement of the year.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

The last time this rumour did the rounds, the Sega stock price dropped bigtime once it became clear it wasn't going to happen.

5. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I hope that EA doesn't buy Sega, because you know what will happen then, bye bye Sega Sports. EA Sports competition would gone.

However, if MS bought Sega I think they would let them still develop their sports games.

Who knows...

6. Benjamin_L

Benjamin_L Stunt Coordinator

7. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Romier,

I would have to disagree on this one. If MS took over Sega (partial or whole), they would just cut all the non-video game depts that lag and focus on console software. If EA took over, there is no knowing if they would keep produces software or if EA would just start shutting down any competing products. You would think they might let them alone and see which one (theirs or Segas) won the most market share in the next round.

Left to themselves, there is no telling what Sega might do. What if they slashed videogames in half to keep fueling these pachinko machines? Sounds ridiculous I know, but they had to somehow get into this financial mess in the first place too.

I would think it possible for MS or EA to just buy a couple of the videogame departments for a lot of cash and leave the rest alone. The worst case for me would be EA buying sports games just to close them down. Ugghhh...

One last bit: I had reservations about MS buying Bungie a while back. I could tell by playing Halo and looking at trailer for Halo2 that it might be the best thing that ever happened to Bungie (now they have a million seller and respect.)

8. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

I have no prob with Microsoft taking over Sega. [​IMG]

I have big problems with EA doing the same. [​IMG]

9. Romier S

Romier S Producer

10. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

12. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

hopefully it's just more silly gossip and specualtion from a finance site. Microsoft can't make games for nothing, and there is no way EA would ever buy sega, not going to happen. Seriously if Sega lost it's independence to one of the big companies I would not be a happy camper at all.

13. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I just wish somebody would buy Sega and finally end the suspense [​IMG]

I concur with the position that in a perfect world Sega would remain independent. If they must be bought out, I admit that I'd rather it be Microsoft than EA. Maybe it's wrong to think so, but I get the impression that MS might yet be more likely to let Sega do their thing. In the EA situation, I'd be paranoid that they'd just start shutting stuff down, especially the sports line (admittedly, I'm not as struck by Sega's sports games as many others - I think their basketball games in particular are overrated - but competition is still A Good Thing).

14. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Please not EA!!

I'm convinced EA is gaming evil. The few good games that do release from under the EA badge are accidental or truely talented teams that haven't yet been fully absorbed by the EA dark side. [​IMG]

I would have no problem with Microsoft taking over Sega though. In many ways it would be a return to the Sega we used to know: one that produces for a single console. I would have no problem thinking of Xbox as Dreamcast II. [​IMG]

Microsoft buying Sega isn't quite as sexy as last year's rumor of Nintendo buying Sega...but it's sexy enough for me.

15. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Romier, this is what I was talking about:

"If it came down to Sega closing its doors or being bought, of course I would prefer to see a buyout."

If Sega is going belly up, the best possible outcome in the near term is a sugar daddy. Otherwise, projects get cut and usually the bleeding edge stuff that doesn't sell so well is nixed first (ie - Smilebit). Could you imagine if Sega wound up like 3DO pumping out sport titles and Sonic games exclusively for the next 10 years? It would make me sick to see that happen.

So if a sugar daddy were needed, I would want Nintendo or MS to be the ones. Sony I'm not sure of, but Nintendo would respect the games and the developers. MS seems to as well, as Bungie seems quite happy (those that didn't quit.) We'll have to see what Rare produces next to see if Bungie was a fluke or not.

I love Sega games, owned their systems since Genesis, but it is one of the worst managed companies I have ever run across. If they didn't make the best games in the world, they would have been belly up a long time ago. I don't know that a better structured company wouldn't help them reach a higher level.

All IMHO, whatever will happen will happen. If you can scrounge up a few billion, I'll buy Sega with you and do whatever we want [​IMG]

16. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

It seems like anytime you post anymore there always has to be the traditional "This rumor has made the rounds before" or "This is old news" and frankly it is getting tiresome. This is an entirely new story from a new source and it is AFTER the Sammy Merger making it all the more a real possibility that this can happen. Not to mention the EA twist.

17. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

I would also agree that I'd much rather have MS buy Sega than EA. I do prefer the Sega Sports games overall, & this could only help the XBox over in Japan.

Not to mention future endearvors....

That is my two ¢...

18. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It HAS done the rounds before! We've known for literally years that Microsoft would love to buy out Sega & have approached them more than once.

The only "twist" is EA, and EA have been actively linked with such an acquisition since their financial figures in late January.

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I don't see a buyout. Possibly a business agreement or purchasing some stock, but nothing like buyout.

20. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

yeS i REAlize that Brian B but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed.