What's new

MS Access (97) Problem- Need help (1 Viewer)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
EDIT: I was getting the exact verbage for the error, and my computer locked up before I finished the post.:angry:
All,
I constructed a relatively simple database to store contact info for media buying (advertising). One table contains all the info (name, address, email, phone, remit address, negotation, couple of memo fields, etc). There are a few queries, and a couple of reports based on those queries.
I made a simple front end, consisting of a form to enter/edit the data table, and a simple switchboard to navigate.
PROBLEM: When the form is brought up, you can enter data. But, if I touch the scroll wheel, the form rapidly scrolls through all records (just one tick on the wheel, mind you). If I touch the wheel a couple of times (up and down), eventually an error comes up.
There is not enough free memory to update the display. Close unneeded programs and continue.
This is happening on a few different computers, with varying amounts of memory and video RAM.
Whaat could this be? Given that it happens on two totally separate machines, with Access installations from separate discs, I'm lost. Also, this file opens up and works flawlessly under my copy of Access 2000 at home.
Any ideas?
Todd

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Do you have any VB code inside your form? It could be getting stuck in a loop, filling up the stack.

The scroll wheel scrolls through records on a form in Access. I don't know of a way to turn this off (in 97 anyway).

It could also be a bug. Access 97 I think pre-dates scroll wheel mice so maybe it has some issues with it.

KJP

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Further investigation shows that it's not just the scroll wheel that causes it. On my "client's" (I use that loosely, as I am decidedly an amateur at this) machine, she has no scroll wheel.

I tried the database on an NT4 (SP5) machine at work, and it works flawlessly. I used the same install disc as on the Win98 machine at work that is locking up. Both are HP machines (lockup on PIII-800 w/Intel 815 Graphics and 128MB, flawless on PII-233 w/Cirrus Logic graphics and 64MB). I'm beginning to think it's an i815 driver thing. I'm still trying to get the config of my "client's" machine.

Interestingly, I don't get that weird scroll behavior at home (Access 2000/WinXP).

Microsoft's Knowledge Base makes no mention of this.

Todd

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Thom,
Sorry, I haven't gotten back to you. Thanks much for the links. SR2 fixed the rapid scrolling problem, but after the database has been open for a while, and I've been flipping through records, the display error still occurs.
As far as my "client," let's just say she's having issues with even installing the SRs.:rolleyes
This database functions normally on all the NT systems I've tried it on (NT4, 2000, XP).
Thanks again,
Todd

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
No worries on the delay. I understand things can get kinda frantic sometimes. I've been there. Oy, have I been there.

The only other stuff I could dig up with errors similar to yours referenced virtual memory settings. I expect you've already been there, but just in case, you may wanna take a look. Set it to user defined on a drive with a bunch o' free space to use as much as possible.

Other than that, I'd prolly dig into the video driver as you mentioned above.

Sorry I couldn't come up with something more specific.

T

Matt Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
Just a thought, what's the "DefaultView" property of your form set to? If it's "Continuous," that would explain why a form displays one "page" for each source record. Maybe if you set it to "Single Form" the problem would go away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks