Mrs. Henderson Presents Aspect Ratio

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Harminder, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

I just downloaded the cover art for "Mrs. Henderson Presents" on DVD profiler and noticed that the aspect ratio for the R1 DVD will be 1.78:1. According to IMDB, the original aspect ratio is in fact 1.85:1. I'm sure like most of your guys, I'm getting tired of being jerked around by the studios/DVD producers. First Lord of War (which was eventually fixed, but still) and now this. Can anyone provide more information to this story?

2. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

First off, I wouldn't depend on the IMDb for much accuracy on aspect ratios. Since Mrs. Henderson Presents is a British film, I suspect the 1.78 ratio is correct and that the 1.85 ratio, if applied at all, was for U.S. cinemas.

3. Kyle_D

Kyle_D Second Unit

This is a common practice for 1.85:1 films and has been discussed in other threads. There's almost no difference between the two ratios and in many cases, overscan takes care of the extra matting.

4. Jace_A

Jace_A Second Unit

I don't think you're going to have much success seeking a recall. Almost all 1.85:1 films are transferred 1.78:1 on DVD, due to 1.78:1 being the native resolution of a 16:9 television.

5. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

Awesome, thank you for the responses everyone, I'll be picking this one up for sure then [​IMG].