What's new

Mrs. Doubtfire & Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid Blu-rays - 5/13 (1 Viewer)

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
DVDEmpire just listed these preorders for 5/13 release

Mrs. Doubtfire
Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I'm definitely going to get Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid on Blu. Hopefully it will include the extras from the current release.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
I'd buy both without blinking if I could count on Fox to incorporate the copious extras from the respective DVD releases (yes, I'm one of the lucky ones who's had the Behind-the-Seams edition of MRS. DOUBTFIRE since last year) but, since they never seem to, it'll likely be another pass for me...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Fox has been including most, if not all DVD extras on their BD releases since Fall '07 (save those titles that were originally scheduled for before that). It's MGM who has yet to port over extras.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Um, ME, MYSELF AND IRENE...INDEPENDENCE DAY...I, ROBOT...what are these Fox Blu-rays with fully ported DVD extras of which you speak???

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I, Robot is listed as having the following:

Disc Features:
-Audio Commentaries
-Featurettes
-Fact Track

HD Exclusive Content:
Searchable Content Index
-Dual-Menu Navigation System

Independence Day is listed as having the following:

Disc Features:
• 2 Scene Specific Commentaries: Director Roland Emerich and Producer Dean Devlin / Oscar-Winning FX supervisors Volker Engel and Doug Smith
• 4 Theatrical Trailers

HD Exclusive Content:
• Interactive Game: "Alien Scavenger Hunt" (BD-Java)
• Trivia Track
• Search Content
• Personal Scene Selections

Me, Myself and Irene had a commentary, deleted scenes, and the original trailer.

The Fly had all the bonus content from the DVD release. Mr. and Mrs. Smith had a fair amount of bonus content.

Shall I go on?

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Yes, please do, because--with the exception of THE FLY--the titles you've listed offer only a fraction of the bonus features found on the SD counterparts and, as such, don't effectively ease my concern. If you're cool with truncated extras, more power to you--I know many share your mindset--but for me, when SD extras are left off the Blu-ray version, I'll be passing each and every time...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, I don't know how you can tell what "featurettes" on the I, Robot release are in full, but I digress. My point is that they are not barebones like they were a year ago.

In actuality, I rarely watch extras, and if I do it's usually once and done. I have 18 discs of Lord of the Rings and I think I've watched one documentary in 5+ years since I bought the first one!

troy evans

Screenwriter
Brandon, you and me have a simular mindset. I for one have been special featured to death. I could care less about those things anymore. I'll take 1080p and lossless audio over special features any day of the week.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

The problem here is that there is absolutely no need for it to be an "either/or" proposition--a 50 GB Blu-ray can easily carry over all the special features from its SD counterpart, especially if they're not upgraded to 1080p (which would be nice, but if not, it's not a deal-breaker for me).

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

Exactly, I would never pass up on viewing a favorite movie in glorious HD because of a lack of extras which may only be viewed once, if ever. The movie will always be replayed.

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
And Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Blu-ray.com - Fox Announces Date and Specs for Master and Commander

All three titles will be released on May 13th, and come on BD-50s with AVC video and DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Historical and Geographic Trivia Track (BD Exclusive)
Geographic Pop-up Map (track the location of Captain "Lucky" Jack Aubrey and his enemies) (BD Exclusive)
Personal Scene Selections (BD Exclusive)
Search Content (BD Exclusive)
Master and Commander Theatrical Trailer (HD) (BD Exclusive)
D-Box Compatible (BD Exclusive)
Deleted Scenes:
Weighing Anchor
Shipboard Life
Superstition
Dentistry
Articles of War

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully the 4th time is the charm and they won't pull M&C yet again.

The 'ol "Fox shuffle" has gotten old.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
And hidefdigest.com just reported that BUTCH CASSIDY will contain most but not all of the SD's extras. Looks like I'll be passing on both this and MASTER AND COMMANDER...such a shame; I really want to give Fox my money. All they gotta do is follow Sony Pictures' model...

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I too am in the "would rather get 1080p picture/lossless audio" camp but with all that extra space, it just reeks of a double-dip situation. The studios will just never tire of selling us the same stuff (only slightly modified) twice.

That being said, I'll probably spring for "Butch Cassidy."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks