What's new

Mr. Sardonicus coming to DVD on 3/12. I have a question. (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorite movies as a child, Mr. Sardonicus is coming to DVD on 3/12, along with Homicidal & Straight-Jacket.
I was wondering if anyone knows if 2 endings were actually filmed for this movie or not. Supposedly there were 2 endings and the theater audience got to choose if Mr Sardonicus gets to live or die. But I've heard rumors that there was only one ending shot.
Does anyone know?

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I think that only one ending was shot. It would've cost Castle too much to stop the flick, have the votes tabulated, and then have the projectionist switch the reels methinks. ;) Just another of his gimmicks that ending switcharoo. Cheers.

Raine Linton

Stunt Coordinator
AT LAST!! now I can throw away two more VHS tapes and as soon as Night of the Creeps comes out, I'll totally kiss vhs GOODBYE!!. Thrill me..

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
The ending I saw was with Mr. Sardonicus not dying. I'm still not sure if this was the only ending filmed?

Brian_Linnen

Stunt Coordinator
wow! i didn't even know that this movie was real!!

in the late 80s on the television show 'wiseguy', there was a villain who watched this movie endlessly, and i always assumed that they made the movie up because they would show scenes from it as the characters watched it and they actually tied the plot of the film into the the plot of the tv show in the final episode of the storyline.

very weird! i vaguely remember a line like "you'll see many such dogs before my work is through, krull" or something.....

bpl

Duane M Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Duane Davis
It's one of the most famous "gimmicks" of all time. Only one ending was filmed.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
As Duane said, only one ending was filmed. This is confirmed in William Castle's autobiography STEP RIGHT UP (I'M GOING TO SCARE THE PANTS OFF AMERICA).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks