Mr. Sardonicus coming to DVD on 3/12. I have a question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay E, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

One of my favorite movies as a child, Mr. Sardonicus is coming to DVD on 3/12, along with Homicidal & Straight-Jacket.
    I was wondering if anyone knows if 2 endings were actually filmed for this movie or not. Supposedly there were 2 endings and the theater audience got to choose if Mr Sardonicus gets to live or die. But I've heard rumors that there was only one ending shot.
    Does anyone know?

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I think only one ending was shot because most people wanted to see Mr. S. get what was coming to him.

3. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

I think that only one ending was shot. It would've cost Castle too much to stop the flick, have the votes tabulated, and then have the projectionist switch the reels methinks. [​IMG] Just another of his gimmicks that ending switcharoo. Cheers.

4. Raine Linton

Raine Linton Stunt Coordinator

AT LAST!! now I can throw away two more VHS tapes and as soon as Night of the Creeps comes out, I'll totally kiss vhs GOODBYE!!. Thrill me..

5. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

The ending I saw was with Mr. Sardonicus not dying. I'm still not sure if this was the only ending filmed?

6. Brian_Linnen

Brian_Linnen Stunt Coordinator

wow! i didn't even know that this movie was real!!

in the late 80s on the television show 'wiseguy', there was a villain who watched this movie endlessly, and i always assumed that they made the movie up because they would show scenes from it as the characters watched it and they actually tied the plot of the film into the the plot of the tv show in the final episode of the storyline.

very weird! i vaguely remember a line like "you'll see many such dogs before my work is through, krull" or something.....

bpl

7. Duane M Davis

Duane M Davis Stunt Coordinator

Duane Davis
    It's one of the most famous "gimmicks" of all time. Only one ending was filmed.

8. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    As Duane said, only one ending was filmed. This is confirmed in William Castle's autobiography STEP RIGHT UP (I'M GOING TO SCARE THE PANTS OFF AMERICA).