Mr. Rogers has died

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottR, Feb 26, 2003.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

CBS News has reported that Fred Rogers has died from stomach cancer at the age of 74....I think I speak for millions of people out there when I say "it was a pleasure to be your neighbor." God Bless You, kind Sir.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

[​IMG] I watched this show growing up and I'm sad to see him go. He had a genuine love for kids and it's hard to find that kind of dedication in people today.

3. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I also watched him while growing up. He truly had a way to entertain as well as educate children. He will be missed. [​IMG]

4. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

In 1992, I graduated from Boston University. Our graduation speaker was a Peruvian author and politician who was little known to most of us. What excited us was that Mr. Rogers, who was a Presbyterian minister, would be there to do the convocation.

When Mr. Rogers was introduced at the beginning of the ceremony, he received a lengthy and enthusiastic standing ovation. As things quieted down, his first words to us were, "Would you like to sing a song with me?" The crowd erupted. Imagine if you with 5,000 twentysomethings, clad in bright red, on the field of a stadium, singing "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood." Friends of mine actually saw it on the nightly news in New York City.

Our souvenir graduation t-shirts had a caricature of Mr. Rogers wearing a mortarboard with the quote "It's a B.U.-tiful day in the neighborhood."

There was always something incredibly meaningful about having this figure, who was so prominent in my early childhood, be there for this final step into full adulthood. I'll miss him very much.

5. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I always watched Mr. Rogers because I loved the trolley.

I'll miss you Mr. Rogers [​IMG]

6. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

From the Washington Post Article:

7. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

The kind of work ethic he possessed and his genuine love of all things young was amazing. How could anyone not miss this man.

8. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Friends of mine actually saw it on the nightly news in New York City.

>>>

Hmm, I wonder if it's in the Muesum of TV and Radio history in NY? I'd like to see snippets of that. Have to remember that if I ever get the chance to visit it again.

Just heard this news on my morning radio show..

Like Others, I was a fan of his show when I was young, but unfortunatly grew out of it faster than I did Seasame Street. The good always die young [​IMG]...

9. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I'm proud to say I still visit the neighborhood on a regular basis. On mornings when I'm stressed out, a half-hour of Fred Rogers makes me feel better about myself and the world around me. A truly unique individual has been taken from us far too soon.

10. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

[​IMG] [​IMG] I grew up with Mr. Rogers....I'm gonna miss him

11. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Growing up in the era before cable television, I watched Mister Rogers every day as a child. It was just part of my routine. It wasn't until I got much older that I truly had appreciation for his incredible and tireless work.

Mister Rogers was the genuine article. It's safe to say there will never be another children's show host like him again.

[​IMG]

P.S. I can't believe I didn't realize until today that his middle name was "McFeely". Whoa!

12. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Rest in peace Mr. Roger, for your good work is done and now you can sleep with the angels tonight.

13. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

The local news anchor this morning while reporting or Mr. Rogers passing said

" I can just imagine him, looking around at his new surroundings singing, Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood"

I'm sure it doesn't get any more beautiful than that!

God bless.

14. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

double post

15. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

A little piece of my childhood has died today. God's speed Mr. Rogers.

[​IMG]

Todd B

16. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Rest in peace, Mr. Rogers. We were all your neighbors for so many years. You'll be missed.

17. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

He was gentle and sweet,
    and an easy target for mean spirited people, but that did not deter him from bringing his message of peace and love to kids.
    Sad day.[​IMG]

18. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Along with Sesame Street... I watched Mr. Roger's Neighborhood EVERYDAY of my life when I was a child. He was truely a great man who, I think, had a big impact on my personal belief system.

I feel like crying [​IMG]

19. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

God Bless you Fred, they dont make television personalities that actually care about the welfare and love children as you did anymore.

20. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Well said Jefferson. He is an icon and deservedly so. Not even our cynicism would deter him. It was all about the children. True gentle spirits are rare. All ages could learn a thing or two from his conduct.