What's new

Mr. Novak, NBC TV Series 1963-65. (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Author Chuck Harter talked to George Feltenstein this morning. George told Chuck that the street date for Mr. Novak season one is November 6. Pre-orders on Amazon, WB Shop and other retailers go up sometime next week!
Friday 3.JPG

Last edited:

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I've read online that some titles have been pressed (when sold directly by Warner Archives), but burned when sold by Amazon.com. Does anybody have any knowledge of that situation? I wonder if that might prove to be the case with MR. NOVAK?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Why doubt the WAC video showing NOVACK to be DVD-R?

The last two WAC TV series from the MGM library that I bought, HONDO and THE MAN FROM SHENANDOAH were both DVD-R, purchased from Oldies.com. Oldies gets pressed versions if available.

It's a mystery as to what comes out pressed or DVD-R, from WAC. WAC seems to be concentrating on Blu-Ray movie releases. They may not have the budget to press TV series at this time.

At this point, is WAC still pressing any TV series? Are the newest releases of STEP BY STEP, PERFECT STRANGERS, ALICE, or recent series, pressed? I don't know as I don't collect those titles.

Amazon burns their own MODS. Other sites, like Oldies and DeepDiscount get the pressed versions, (and the DVD-R versions), from WAC via Allied Vaughn.

Some posters claim to have received pressed versions when ordering from Amazon, but they may have been buying used or rewrapped pressed versions without knowing it.

Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Yes, Amazon makes and packages their own burned copies thru their Create Space Program.

The titles Amazon burns from WAC and from other Studios have a notation in the product description "When sold by Amazon, this product will be manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media".

To confuse things even more, Amazon sells DVD-R releases made by other companies but does not list them as being DVD-Rs, since Amazon does not make them.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Bob has summarized the complex Amazon pressed vs. burned disc issue accurately, including the rarely seen but confirmed occasional pressed WAC TV box set issue that you might get from them. I know, as I once received a pressed copy of The FBI season 4 directly from Amazon.com. For what it's worth, the only defective disc of a WAC release I ever had was a pressed disc. All things being equal, I prefer to have pressed, but it bothers me not to have DVD-R on quality media with presumably good quality control. And that isn't always the case with Amazon...I received a burned set of Cheyenne season 6 with what looked to be the small remnants of somebody's snack slathered inside. Disgusting and outrageous. And, maybe worse, a mis-labled disc on another set that was labled The FBI season two, but actually contained episodes from season Five! I should state that the overwhelming majority of WAC releases I have gotten from Amazon were problem free. When it's a known fact that a WAC TV release has received a pressed run, like Bob, I've gotten them from Oldies or Importcd. My complete runs of Dr. Kildare and Maverick are all on pressed. The rest of the many multi season WAC TV box sets I have are a mix of pressed and burned. Some of these sets were only available on DVD-R. The most recent releases in my collection from WAC being Hondo and Man Called Shenandoah, all burned. And that is increasingly the case, if not the rule with WAC TV releases going forward. I think Bob is right about Mr. Novak only being DVD-R. They probably don't do pressed runs anymore for DVD.

Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
The pre-orders are up at: WBSHOP, Amazon and Oldies.com.
888574771041.jpg
james-franciscus-mrnovak-0008.JPG

The list price is $47.99 and that is what it is listed at WBSHOP and Amazon. Oldies has it for $39.96.

Oldies has free postage over $50, and 10% off of $100.00 orders. So I figure I'll order the book and one other WAC series, to put my order over the $100.00.

Tell'em, Flashgear sent you!

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The pre-orders are up at Amazon and Oldies.com. View attachment 51117 View attachment 51118

The list price is $47.99 and that is what it is listed at Amazon. Oldies has it for $39.96.

Oldies has free postage over $50, and 10% off of $100.00 orders. So I figure I'll order the book and one other WAC series, to put my order over the $100.00.

Wonderful cover art (and in the B/W of the series, no less)!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
The pre-orders are up at: WBSHOP, Amazon and Oldies.com. View attachment 51117 View attachment 51118

The list price is $47.99 and that is what it is listed at WBSHOP and Amazon. Oldies has it for $39.96.

Thanks Bob! But somehow I don't think that 'Flashgear' would be accepted as a discount code at any retailer, ha, ha! Great to see the pre-orders are already up!

I'm sure you will enjoy Chuck's book, which ranks with the absolute greatest books ever produced about a vintage TV show. It has a wealth of detail, and is profusely illustrated. Chuck drew upon the personal papers and archive of Mr. Novak producer E. Jack Neuman, including reproducing the rejected script on VD that was proposed as a crossover episode between Mr. Novak and Dr. Kildare for season two (wish that had happened). A mother lode of behind the scenes material that is fascinating. And for a show that is 55 years old, Chuck was able to interview over 40 people who worked on the show itself! An incredible achievement!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I'm sure you will enjoy Chuck's book, which ranks with the absolute greatest books ever produced about a vintage TV show. It has a wealth of detail, and is profusely illustrated. Chuck drew upon the personal papers and archive of Mr. Novak producer E. Jack Neuman, including reproducing the rejected script on VD that was proposed as a crossover episode between Mr. Novak and Dr. Kildare for season two (wish that had happened). A mother lode of behind the scenes material that is fascinating. And for a show that is 55 years old, Chuck was able to interview over 40 people who worked on the show itself! An incredible achievement!

Quite the tour de force on Chuck's part for a show that, albeit it lasted only 2 seasons on NBC, has been remembered for so long ever since it premiered!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Ha, ha...I once heard that NASA wanted to spend millions on the development of a zero gravity pen for astronauts to use in orbit, until some smart guy told them to just use graphite pencils! Talk about the "write stuff" ha, ha...pardon me for the pun, I can't help myself, what with my giddy excitement over Mr. Novak coming out on DVD...

My excitement cannot possibly compare to that of Victoria Neuman Talbot...she is the daughter of Mr. Novak's late creator, writer and producer E. Jack Neuman...author Chuck Harter told me last night that she was ecstatic with joy when he told her the news!

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I have found that some one-season shows that WB sells are burned, and multiple season shows are pressed discs.

I expect Mr. Novak Season 1 purchased from WB to be pressed.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Well, the Warner shop lists it as being MOD format, which sounds to me like burned-on-demand. Ditto Oldies.com.

If anybody does receive a pressed set, I'd be interested in hearing about that.
It doesn't matter. Even though it is listed as MOD, WB will send a pressed disc set. I've purchased many from them. I'll be surprised if the discs on this set are burned-on-demand.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Please let us know when you receive your set from WB.

I've preordered from Amazon, but may cancel that preorder. Amazon's product will probably be burned on demand. If there is a chance that the product from WB is pressed, I should probably wait until it's released to find out.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Well, the Warner shop lists it as being MOD format, which sounds to me like burned-on-demand. Ditto Oldies.com.

If anybody does receive a pressed set, I'd be interested in hearing about that.
MOD means manufactured on Demand nothing more, nothing less. It does not mean Burned DVD-R discs. It means they make small amounts and then produce more as the demand continues. The discs can be either pressed or DVD-R depending on how big they think the demand is for the title and a few other factors. WAC doesn't do pressed for single disc movie releases but does pressed on some movie sets and usually does pressed on their TV shows since 2011-2012. All of their Blu Ray releases are always pressed. The confusion on this stems from when MOD started in 2009 it was only DVD-R so people still assume that it always means Burned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks