'Mr. & Mrs. Smith,' 'Dodgeball' Lead Fox March Blu-ray Wave

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Why are Commando, Ice Age and Dodgeball being mastered in MPEG2/BD25? With availability of BD50 why use that codec when AVC is available and more efficient for less capacity discs? Including DTS-HD Master Audio as well... I have a bad feeling the movies aren't going to look that great.

All this codec confusion continually makes me want to sit tight on embracing blu-ray for a long time.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

There is absolutely nothing wrong with combining BD25 and Mpeg-2. There are many, many releases on Blu-Ray that feature this combination and the majority of them look outstanding. You should check them out.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder

Agreed. There definitely are some titles that look good in BD25+MPEG2, but at the same time there are some titles that do not. I don't personally like such inconsistency.

Why didn't Fox just stick to using AVC for every title? Why jump around with the codecs?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well I loved Mr. & Mrs. Smith...eventhough I'm a HD-DVD adopter that's a good one for Blu-Ray. At least to me that's one that pricks my ears. There haven't been many from the BD folks that interest me. That looks to change

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I agree. Very ho-hum releases lately on both format. I have resorted to ordering some releases from Amazon France and Europe for the novelty. It was interesting ordering from France since I do not read the language. I hope I actually ordered what I thought I did.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I'll pick up Ice Age for sure however, I can't wait for CES, hoping they announce some really heavy releases for the format.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I wont at those prices! IMO, we are not sending Fox the right message by buying their overpriced product. Even with Amazon's 10% off that's $25.19 per disc which is almost $7.20 more per disc than other studios like Warner, Paramount and even Sony.

Early adoptors, don't have to automatically assume the position and allow any company to hose them when they have competitors not doing the same to their consumers. I can understand the logic of new films on HD DVD or Blu-ray discs which are still on the studio books and their desire to recoup as much revenue as possible, but catalogue titles are another matter.

Crawdaddy

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
i hope Ice Age looks better then the trailer on Fantastic four looks.

that looks flat and rather dull.

as for how does dodgeball get to "lead the pack"?
is that just the catch phrase offered by hd digest for that article?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truvalastavi