Mr. McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry....

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Lambert, Mar 18, 2003.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The Hulk (Bixby) TV show's pilot ep on June 3rd! Read all about it!. Even though it is a "best of"-type of release, I'll get it for sure and replace my VHS tape. I hope it will lead to season sets!!! [​IMG]

2. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

thanks for the info David. Great first episode indeed

[​IMG]

3. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I have no problems with this Dave. When Telefilms are later made into series I don't mind they release the telefilm seperately. I believe the hulk had two telefilms before the series started.... And of course a whole bunch of not that great films afterward.

4. David Lambert

Yes, Dave...there were two pilot telefilms. One in Early Nov. '77, and the other in Late Nov. '77, which led up to the start of the series in March '78.

The 2nd pilot was called "A Death In The Family", by the way - a story about Banner getting a job at a ranch where an heiress is being drugged/poisoned by an unscrupulous doctor at the instructions of her stepmom, who killed her dad in a similar fashion. It was known on previous VHS releases as "The Return Of The Incredible Hulk".

This was not to be confused with the first post-series telefilm, called "The Incredible Hulk Returns" (the Thor-guest-starrer which Anchor Bay is releasing on May 6 along with "Trial Of The Incredible Hulk" guest starring DareDevil):
    [​IMG]

Since the 2nd pilot telefilm isn't the bonus on the Universal release, but instead we're getting another previous VHS release in "Married", I suspect this might be a quick through-it-together job to capitalize on the film. What am I saying? Of course it is! [​IMG]

5. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yeah but Universal makes no sense why put Married on there when the 2nd telefilm makes more sense. Between this and releasing up to 4 versions of films like 8 mile they are'nt my favorite studio right now

6. David Lambert

Well, what I was saying is they did this:

"Huh, we got this hot Hulk film coming out in June. We should tie into that with the old TV show. Disney is with their cartoon release, and Anchor Bay has the post-series telefilms. What can we toss together really quick?"

"Well, boss, we got these old VHS transfers hanging around for the pilot and for this other thing called 'Married', whatever that was. Let's toss them onto a DVD real quick and we're good to go!"

"Oh, okay."

...something like that.

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i'll buy the pilot and the trial and the one with thor.

now if only we could get the piolt for 6 million dollar man.

8. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    the episode married was a two part episode of the hulk.. and was a very tragic story.. one of the best episodes of the hulk.. probably relates to the theme of the new movie.

JACOB

9. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Actually, the episode "Married" was not originally a 2-part episode. It was a 2-hour episode that was the premiere of the second season. As with most 2-hour tv episodes, the original was broken into two parts for syndication. It was slightly edited to accommodate a new set of closing & opening credits, and the part 1 recap. Hopefully, Universal will use the 2-hour version as originally broadcast. It was a great episode. Mariette Hartley won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series (1979) for this episode.

I would have preferred a single disc release containing both the TV movie "pilots", or have them combined in a set of the first season episodes, since there were only ten.
    They could then release the other four seasons as complete sets. The fourth season was shortened to 18 episodes, due to an actors' strike. The fifth, and final, had only seven episodes.

The three "reunion" TV movies ('88-'90) were produced by the now defunct New World Pictures. The first two of these ("RETURNS" and "TRIAL OF") are on the forthcoming Anchor Bay dvd. I wonder why the final ("DEATH OF")is not included. It leaves open the opportunity for yet another release.

Also, I think this picture would make for a better cover for the pilot movie dvd. Universal is obviously trying to cash in on the new HULK movie, but the dvd cover art for the pilot does not represent the tv show at all.

[​IMG]

10. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Man, when I was growing up, I can't tell you how many times I heard that joke in reference to me...

Sincerely,

Mike McGee [​IMG]

11. David Lambert

12. David Lambert

More Hulk-related stuff here with cover art (finally) for the animated Disney release for 6/17.

13. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

This is even better news that they went for the Telefilm instead of the 2 parter.

Great stuff indeed

[​IMG]

14. David Lambert

New news about the Universal release of the Bixby/Ferrigno show. Some supplements were announced:

• SPECIAL INTRODUCTION by "The Incredible Hulk" star Lou Ferrigno.
    • DVD Audio Commentary on both episodes by Director Kenneth Johnson.

WOW! [​IMG] I could not have asked for anything cooler! This seals the deal for me. Bring on the season sets!!!

15. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    yeah that's more than I would've expected

16. Jerome

Jerome Second Unit

It is interesting because here in France, Universal has announce a 2 DVD set for June the 18th, with the original Pilot (like the Region 1) but with the 2 hour TV Movie Death in the Family (aka Return of the Incredible Hulk)made in 1977.

http://www.devildead.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=25200

I think there is probably a mistake in one of the press announcement.

We'll see

17. David Lambert

Perhaps not, Jerome. In R1, Universal may be saving the 2nd telefilm to coincide with the DVD release of the Ang Lee film. Kind of a two-barrelled shot.

We'll see. I'm keeping a close eye on this.

18. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Wow! Universal has come around! I'm very pleased to see these supplements offered. Kenneth Johnson's commentary on "V" was entertaining and informative, so I hope his commentaries on HULK will be the same. Johnson was also a writer/director for two other Universal hit TV shows: THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN and THE BIONIC WOMAN. Maybe he'll provide commentary if/when they get around to those.

I hope Universal can get Lee Majors and Lindsay Wagner to participate in some way if they release SMDM and BW on dvd.
    Lee Majors recently was chosen by TV LAND viewers as favorite TV Super Hero. Majors and Wagner also hosted a Sci-Fi Channel "bionic" retrospective a few years back, so it would seem they enjoy revisiting their old shows, unlike some TV actors.

19. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

For all you Hulk experts out there. Is the music they play at the end of each episode available? I'm talking about the piano notes that closed each show. I have aways wondered if it was part of a bigger piece of music or just a short piece written specifically for the series.

20. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

quote:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

New news about the Universal release of the Bixby/Ferrigno show. Some supplements were announced:

• SPECIAL INTRODUCTION by "The Incredible Hulk" star Lou Ferrigno.
    • DVD Audio Commentary on both episodes by Director Kenneth Johnson.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is even better than I thought. It certainly seems that Kenneth Johnson knows how to get things done.

By starting with his most recent success V the mini series and then working backwards. Given the success of the V dvds, he has now even more control over his products it would seem.

when was Man of 6 Million Dollars made ? Are they waiting for an anniversary edition or what