What's new

Broadcast TV Mr. Mayor (NBC - Ted Danson) (1 Viewer)

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
I'm honestly shocked at the negative reactions. It's goofy and fluffy, but it's snappy and funny.

I admire the wryness and wit of Tina Fey's writing and point of view. The problem is that it just doesn't make me laugh out loud. I sit in my chair and think that certain lines are clever or witty, have nice puns, or come out of nowhere and are oddly twee, but they don't make me laugh. And I want to laugh out loud when I watch a comedy. Neither episode did that. However, these are all talented performers, so I'll continue watching and hope things get funnier.

In an odd way, I'm with you here, . . . but not.

Very very very little makes me laugh out loud . . . I'm more of a Lorne Michaels saying 'that's funny' quietly and matter-of-factly being the apex of praise type. So I 'appreciate' comedy more than immerse in it. So admiring wryness and wit is a pretty good 1/2 hour diversion for my tastes.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I watched the first and have two others on DVR. Will probably watch them before I make a final decision. I know in the first episode, the mayor's daughter nearly ruined the show. Hopefully she dials it back a little.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I know in the first episode, the mayor's daughter nearly ruined the show. Hopefully she dials it back a little.

I really like Kyla Kennedy as an actress. I think she was doing what the script called for her to do, which isn't giving her great material to work with in the first place. She is capable of more than she is being given. Just watch Speechless.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I watched what I had on my DVR (3 or 4 episodes), and I'm done. Very little comedy here. Just odd people being odd.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
They're definitely getting mileage out of the size disparity. Hunter is only 5' 2" and most of the cast is pretty tall: Ted Danson is nearly 6' 3", Vela Lovell is 5' 10", Mike Cabellon is 5' 11", and Kyla Kenedy is around 5' 7".

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Yeah, it's definitely on my list of "I'll watch it when I see a new episode pop up on Hulu when I'm looking for something to watch as I crawl into bed."

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Inevitably, I found it disappointing by the end of its first season. Everyone had become a manic cartoon character and any sense of reality (which was tenuous from the start) had completely vanished. There was still some witty lines here and there (which is why I stayed to the end of the season), but I'm not sure I'll start back up when the series resumes next season.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You guys hung in there longer than I did. I bailed after the first 2 episodes. I love so many people who are involved in this but I just found it dull and unfunny. While I won't begrudge anybody getting to keep their job for another year, I was kind of surprised that they renewed it just because I don't know anyone who really loves it. I guess they want to be in business with Fey, Carlock and Danson and are hoping it will grow next season.

The NBC show I most want to see renewed is Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I did not realize season 1 was already done. I'm used to most shows hitting a hiatus in March regardless of the rest of the world's circumstances.

That, and I'm having a harder time remembering what night anything comes on anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks