What's new

Broadcast TV Mr. Mayor (NBC - Ted Danson) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
NBC released a trailer for their new sitcom Mr. Mayor. It stars Ted Danson in a quick return to NBC after the end of The Good Place last season. This one is created by Tina Fey and Robert Carlock and co-stars Holly Hunter as a nemesis for Danson. The show premieres on January 7 at 8/7c. I'll be very glad to have Danson back on my TV at that time.

Belated edit to remove now-dead YouTube link.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I liked Kyla Kenedy as the daughter on "Speechless", so nice to see her pop up as Ted Danson's daughter on this.

Agreed. I miss that show a lot and she was great in it.

The joke in the trailer where she is confused for Danson's wife is gross and I didn't find that funny at all. Hopefully they give her something better as the show progresses.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Agreed. I miss that show a lot and she was great in it.

The joke in the trailer where she is confused for Danson's wife is gross and I didn't find that funny at all. Hopefully they give her something better as the show progresses.
That’s how the major and daughter reacted. It was funny.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm still looking forward to the show, but that trailer didn't really do much for me.

We'll see next week.

Wiseguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Based on the constant promos (the funniest scenes?) I would say this is another stupid sitcom full of stupid characters who say and do stupid things for half an hour. The critics will love it.
"I'm the mayor." "No, I'm the mayor." "We'll agree to disagree." "Mayor fight!" Hilarious. Not.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
this is another stupid sitcom full of stupid characters who say and do stupid things for half an hour.

I do not think the promos are the best. However, I think judging the show to be stupid before we've seen it is a little harsh. If it's bad, I'll say so when the episodes begin to air. But the team behind this series has done enough quality work in the past that I wouldn't categorically dismiss them before anything aired. Also, at this point in his career, Ted Danson could pretty much lead whatever show he wants and this is what he chose. He is a terrific actor with wonderful instincts for comedy in particular. So let's wait and see what the show is, instead of what NBC's promo people are telling us it is. Those are often different things.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
30 Rock’s early pre-launch promos were absolutely wretched, and gave everyone (myself included) the false impression that it was gonna be yet another short-lived also-ran (remember when folks were putting the long-money survival odds on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip over Tina Fey’s show? LOL. Pepperidge Farm remembers.).

So yeah — network-cut promo spots basically mean absolutely next to nothing most of the time; 30 Rock ended up being one of the greatest comedies of all time practically right out of the gate (which I can affirm, having recently done a complete Blu-Ray rewatch), despite some barfulous NBC ads early on.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Watched the first two episodes tonight.

A lot of the ingredients were good:
  • Ted Danson's character is credible as both having been the CEO of a very successful company and as a new mayor who is completely out of his depth.
  • Holly Hunter's character being his foil: as disliked as he is liked, the consummate insider to his total outsider
  • His campaign manager-turned-chief of staff being a social media influencer who had all of the right skills to get him elected but none of the right skills to actually work in government
  • The relationship with his daughter, one of the weakest parts of the ad campaign, was actually one of the best parts of the show. He was a single father for most of his daughter's life, and you really feel the bond between them -- even when she's mad or frustrated with him.
But most of the humor was really stale. I mean, two episodes in, and they're already doing an episode built around a character accidentally getting high?

And it's clear that the pandemic was written into the show as an afterthought; despite its role in the previous mayor's departure from office, and multiple references during the pilot, nobody's wearing masks and his schedule events in the second episode is full of the kind of things that are grossly irresponsible in the current environment.

Also, Bobby Moynihan's character is one of those odd and offputting characters that Fey and Charlock seem to love but I've never really understood the appeal of.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I like a whole lot of these actors from other projects. I think they are really well cast in these parts.

But I really didn't like these episodes. There wasn't much reason for me to care about these characters, above and beyond the fact that I have a connection to their portrayers from other stuff.

The Good Place, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Speechless are three of the most distinctive and original comedies of the last decade or so. They are really high bars to clear. So even though this show has actors who I have welcomed into my home week after week for years in those shows, I wasn't expecting the first two episodes of Mr. Mayor to reach those heights. But I was expecting to have fun watching it and I really didn't. There were some funny lines here and there, but for every chuckle, there was also something where I rolled my eyes and thought, "Really?" If I'm already rolling my eyes in the very beginning of a show's run, that's not a good indication of wanting to invest long term.

I really hope it improves next week.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I admire the wryness and wit of Tina Fey's writing and point of view. The problem is that it just doesn't make me laugh out loud. I sit in my chair and think that certain lines are clever or witty, have nice puns, or come out of nowhere and are oddly twee, but they don't make me laugh. And I want to laugh out loud when I watch a comedy. Neither episode did that. However, these are all talented performers, so I'll continue watching and hope things get funnier.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Did anyone here watch the third episode that aired on January 14, or did we all give up already? I'm curious if it got any better.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I did like the line during the press conference where the guy said his kids were unvaccinated and always sick. He didn't want the disposal sight adding to his troubles

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moviefan88