What's new

Mr. Magoo coming to DVD in 2005! (1 Viewer)

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Would they really cancel a show this close to being released after the money is put into putting this release together just because of some complaints?

It must be some other issue because I just don't see a studio doing that.

Paul

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

It does happen. Fox pulled planned DVD releases of the Charlie Chan films because of some misguided complaints. However I doubt that is the case here unless someone really takes offense at the casting of Jim Backus because he wasn't really blind.

I'm inclined to go along with the previous post that non-sinister forces are at work here.

Steve

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Wonderful news regarding Magoo,

The DVD has NOT been cancelled.. Merely postponed temporarily in order to put forth better marketing and promotion in order to garner more attention.

I can assure you guys that the people involved with this release are putting an immeasurable ammount of honest effort into delivering a quality product and seem just as enthusiastic about getting this onto shelves as we do owning it.

I wish I could post all that I know about the situation but it has been relayed to me on an individual basis and respectfully, without consent this is as much as I'll disclose.

I will be recieving a sampler copy of the finnished set within the next few days and will be sure to post a review for everyone as well as feedback and opinions to Classic Media in regards.

I just wanted to clarify that Magoo IS still coming out, but just a little later than expected.

I think the effort and devotion to quality that Classic Media has been putting into their releases from content to presentation, etc. is really admirable and it's evident that they really do care about the product put forth as well as their customer relations. It's refreshing to find a company in the industry with such an awareness that treats it's classic animated properties as more than just "child's fare", and they certainly do! Just consider their catalogue library and what we've seen of it in only the past few years.. from Rocky & Bullwinkle to Rankin Bass, Casper and Underdog, Roger Ramjet, etc. Unlike many studios with an enormous back catalogue of licensed properties sitting neglected for years, CM has been extremely dilligent and efficient with their shows and their standards have never dissipated. I really think that Classic Media deserves more recognition for all they've been delivering. Their remastered transfers are pristine and packaging always excellent -- if only they had a larger output, they'd be comparable to the Criterion Collection of classic animated television properties..

Anyways, back on topic -- Sure it's dissapointing to have to wait a few more months, but I think that this show certainly deserves to recieve it's proper marketing and I fully support the temporary postponment if it means the set will reach more people and get better recognition.

Hope that clears things up, and this information all comes from someone responsible for home video production within the company so it is more than credible.

Joseph Miller

Stunt Coordinator
About this being a "quality" release...

These TV shows were made up of cartoons which were originally released in theatres. If I'm not mistaken, several of them were made in CinemaScope. Of course, they were shown "pan and scan" on television.

If this were to be truly a quality release, the cartoons would be letterboxed. What are the odds that they will be?

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I was checking out the Classic Media website and saw a picture of Richie Rich, has there been anything on Richie Rich coming to DVD?

Paul

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
There has, but nothing officially as of yet Paul.

The Richie Rich cartoons that CM holds license to are the Film Roman episodes and not the half-hour Hanna-Barbera episodes which I assume Warner Bros. has in their library. Classic Media owns about a dozen or so of these episodes (I believe there were very few produced), and I've been told that they hope to compile them with a similar number of Baby Huey cartoons sometime in the near future. They will gradually be releasing ALL of their library content over the next few years, so if you see a television show or special under their license, you can expect to eventually see that released to DVD.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

The TV shows were broadcast completely independant of any theatrical run films. Between 1960 and 1961, UPA produced a wonderful series of Magoo shorts which were syndicated for TV broadcast and this was the character's first forray into televised animation. Classic Media holds license to the original 1960's UPA television shorts which were both funny and charming due to the style and caliber of animation and qualified staff, many of whom had previous ventures in theatrical productions; directors such as Gil Turner (WB / Lantz / UPA), Abe Levitow (WB / MGM), Clyde Geronimi (Disney / Famous Studios / UPA) and animators such as Hank Smith (Larriva Roadrunners / Charlie Brown & Garfield specials), etc. along with veteran voice actors, Daws Butler, Paul Frees, Jerry Hausner and obviously the great Jim Backus as Mr. Magoo. Not to mention the wonderfully talented Carl Brandt and George Steiner who composed for the series. Some even consider the series to be better/funnier than the original UPA theatricals (Owned by Columbia TriStar along w/ the rest of the Screen Gem series as well as Gerald McBoing Boing etc.), and in many cases I'd have to agree!

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Is there a list somewhere of what other cartoons this company owns? Do they own Dick Tracy? Is that a candidate for release? I know that when the show was still owned by UPA and it was put back into syndication, the thought police attacked it for the characters, especially Joe Jitsu and Go Go Gomez.

And that is good news about Magoo. I really enjoyed that one when I was little.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
All of their properties are listed at their website, classicmedia.tv.

To answer your question regarding 'Dick Tracy', yes they do own the rights to that series and have readied 130 episodes for DVD but there is no set release in sight just yet. It will eventually surface, sooner than later.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Joseph Miller

Stunt Coordinator
What is Boomerang showing now for their "Mr. Magoo" show?

The credits include Magoo saying "Road hog" and "Magoo -- you've done it again!" Is that taken from the syndicated series we're talking about here?

It seems to me the cartoons Boomerang is showing are panned and scanned, but maybe I'm wrong -- I'm getting as myopic as Magoo himself these days.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Okay so now it has been over a year. That's some postponement. Is this thing cancelled? I can't believe they would go to the trouble of authoring and packaging the set only to shelve it. What gives? Dave, Gord, anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.