Mr. Magoo coming to DVD in 2005!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mick Tees, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Mick Tees

Mick Tees Second Unit

"The Mr. Magoo Show - Complete to DVD this Winter. Amazon has a pre-order listing for this as a 4-disc set that will arrive on February 8th." (tvshowsondvd.com)

How cool is this?

[​IMG]

2. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

What's next? Hong Kong Phooey? The Banana Splits?

3. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

Good to see Rutgers most famous alumni come to DVD.

Paul

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Yes, despite TVShowsOnDVD posting under the listing of "The Famous Adventures Of", I am certain that this set will be comprised of the original 1960 UPA cartoons.

It's just a shame that the many superior classic theatrical shorts as well as the first feature-length, "1001 Arabian Nights", has to be locked away in Columbia's deep deserted vaults along with all the other wonderful UPA theatrical shorts including Mcboing Boing, destined to be neglected for years to come...

Hopefully if these sets prove successful, Classic Media might decide to produce box-sets of the original "Dick Tracy Cartoon Show". I've sent many an email requests inquiring and would urge you all to do the same as it only takes a minute or so and a direct inquiry/feedback forum can be found via this link: CLICK ME!

Perhaps if they see that there is a significant interest, it might be among their next ventures. Here's hoping!

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Marco, I spoke to that this morning in an update to that news item. Thanks.

6. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

7. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Definitely not Paul.

All of the UPA theatrical cartoons are under Columbia's ownership while all of UPA's television output is under Sony's license.

8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Are the theatricals locked up for a reason? The Mcboing boing shorts showed up (mostly, I think one is missing) on the Hellboy standard release.

I didn't know that there was a TV show as well. My exposer to Mr. Magoo was through a multi volume VHS series in the 80's, I have no idea if this was TV or theatrical based.

Very curious about this release.

9. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

If you consider the fact that Columbia is completely and totally ignorant when it comes to their animated properties and probably don't even realize what's in their vaults or care eitherway a justifiable reason...

10. Mick Tees

Mick Tees Second Unit

Do you think they will include Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol as a bonus on this set?

I hesitate to buy the Christmas special on DVD if it might be included on the Mr. Magoo Complete DVD Collection. I know that the Christmas special was made in 1962 around the same time the cartoon series was made.

Any guesses? Does anyone else need to purchase this gem for their collection? (by the way, I still haven't seen this one on tv this year... usually they show it at least once around this time of year)

11. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

No. The runtime for the set doesn't leave much room for anything but the series. And since the Christmas special is already available on its own, there's really no reason for Sony to include it.

12. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

I really do hope that this is the 1960 TV series. And are you sure that Classic Media owns the Dick Tracy cartoons? That would be great to see released. I know that they put out 6 VHS volumes but there are 130 cartoons so many were missing. Anyway I know that Henry Saperstein, who owned UPA, died a few years ago and I never heard what happened to his cartoon properties.

13. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

Great news on the Mr. Magoo front. I'm really glad to see that it's the TV cartoons as that was one I loved when I was a kid. So happy to have this to go along with my Courageous Cat collection, the soon to arrive Roger Ramjet, the Rocky and Bullwinkles. Now if we could just get:

Dick Tracy, Felix the Cat, Mighty Hercules, Krazy Kat, Snuffy Smith, Beatle Bailey, Deputy Dawg, Astroboy and Eighth Man.

14. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

Here are larger shots of the cover-art for Magoo and Ramjet...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Krazy Kat

15. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

100% sure.

I suggest that if anyone has any requests or feedback that they'd like to leave for Classic Media, go to the website as they have a contact forum where you can post messages directly to folks involved in in their DVD productions. I've left many messages in the past two years requesting complete sets for the original Magoo show along with the Rocky & Bullwinkle series and Dick Tracy. We now have two of these, but Dick Tracy is still on the backburner. If you would like to see it released on DVD, follow this link: http://www.classicmedia.tv/cm-form.html and let the studio know that there is a public interest in the series. I'm weary that the holdup might be do to p.c. issues since several characters in the series were of racial stereotype, but let's push for it none the less! Classic Media is doing great in my books and if we could finally get a complete series release of the UPA Dick Tracy Cartoon Show like we are getting Magoo and Ramjet, we'd have just about everythign we could possibly ask from the studio!

Now if only Columbia had such judgement...

16. Mick Tees

Mick Tees Second Unit

17. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

No way!!!

Why would they pull this at the last minute like that??

Could it possibly be because they don't want to release both sets alongside each other on the same day... why would it be indefinitely delayed?

This was one of my most anticipated releases and here I was, just coming to post some news about an upcoming Dick Tracy cartoon release!!!

What a dissapointment - I hope Dave and Gord look into this further and hopefully get an explanation from Classic Media as to why this was pulled.

[​IMG]

18. Joseph Miller

Joseph Miller Stunt Coordinator

About it being pulled --

I've been wondering... could it be that "seeing-impaired" people complained about it? I know they complained about the live-action movie a few years ago.

I just got through watching some Magoos on Boomerang, and there's no question that these cartoons are based on the idea that being unable to see is something hilarious.

I personally don't mind it -- I dislike political correctness and I'm tired of everyone complaining about being offended all the time. But I can't help wondering if some complaints might have been received which resulted in this release being not just postponed, but cancelled.

In "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol," his myopia is downplayed, but the regular cartoons are usually totally based on his inability to see and mistaking the kitchen sink for the toilet, or something like that (imaginary example, there.)

19. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

why does this feel like another "La Femme Nikita" S2 in the making? This close to the release date, you know that they are presses/packed and probably intransit to the retailers...

20. ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson Second Unit

If they can't see the show, how can they be offended by it? Seriously, I'm short-sighted and have been for years. I've never been offended by Magoo and am more offended by people who prevent me from making my own choices as to what I do and don't watch.

But this is speculation. Isn't there also a discrepancy between the ownership of the character and the ownership of the films that might prevent this appearing, similar to the Popeye character/film rights? That may be the reason.