Mr. Janowitz

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ArthurJ, Dec 30, 2003.

1. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

You’re website is down so I cannot access your forums. My question is this, if I want to do a single AV12MII for a vehicle install what would be a nice enclosure for it? Should I go sealed? Or would vented yield better results? What are the ideal vehicle enclosures? Thanks!

2. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Hi ArthurJ,

It really depends on the vehicle and your goals. In general vented boxes will play louder, but not as low because it's hard to fit a large enclosure with a long port in a vehicle. If you're concerned with the most accuracy and extension, I'd suggest a sealed box. If you really want to play loud, a ported box is the way to go. Most of the "shake the car next to you" bass is in the 30-40hz range, so a somewhat smaller, higher tuned vented box can work.

For sealed boxes in a car a good range for the AV12 is from 1.5 to 3 cubic foot. The larger the box, the lower the Qtc and the better your low end extension.

For vented boxes if you want to play low and loud, I'd suggest 3 cubic foot or more and tune as close to 20hz as possible. If you want to boom and shake the neighborhood, you could go with something like 2cubic foot tuned in the mid 30hz range.

John

3. Jim Holtz

Jim Holtz Auditioning

John,

You list a Qtc of .7 in a sealed 1.0 cubic foot box for the AV-12 MII on your website. What would the Qtc be with a 1.5 cubic foot box? I've not been able to get Unibox to agree with your numbers so I've relied on your numbers for box size.

Thanks!

Jim

(John) For sealed boxes in a car a good range for the AV12 is from 1.5 to 3 cubic foot. The larger the box, the lower the Qtc and the better your low end extension.

4. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Hi Jim,

In 1.5cf the Qtc goes down to .63. These numbers are modeled with minimal box fill. Figure about 1/2 lb of fill per cubic foot.

John

5. Jim Holtz

Jim Holtz Auditioning

John,

Thank you for the clarification. I've been playing with Unibox some more and for some reason it's finally agreeing with your numbers exactly so I'm assuming it was operator error on my part. :) Regardless, thank you for the reply.

I must compliment you on the AV-12 MKII's I received. They are built like a tank and absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to use them! :)I'm sure the sound quality will equal their beauty.

Best regards,

Jim

6. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

John,
    Quick question. Could you post the specs for the old AV15? I don't have a MKII & that's all that is up on your site. IIRC, there wasn't a lot that changed but I want to be as accurate as possible [​IMG]

7. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit