What's new

Mr. Finn- Are we getting more TODD-AO blurays in the future? (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
It was back in 2009 that the talk about THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY and THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES being restored.

From Blu-ray.com (July 13, 2009)

"20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has commissioned HTV illuminate Arts-Media-Entertainment to restore two of its classics for a Blu-ray release later this year: 'The Agony and the Ecstasy' and 'Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines', two 1965 films shot in Todd-AO (a film format that used 65mm negatives and 70mm release prints)."

I would guess by this time the HD transfers are sitting on the self.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Seeing a film in Todd-AO esp with a new print is truly a wonderful experience - even when the film isn't great, it makes a world of difference

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote: Originally Posted by ahollis It was back in 2009 that the talk about THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY and THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES being restored.

From Blu-ray.com (July 13, 2009)

"20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has commissioned HTV illuminate Arts-Media-Entertainment to restore two of its classics for a Blu-ray release later this year: 'The Agony and the Ecstasy' and 'Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines', two 1965 films shot in Todd-AO (a film format that used 65mm negatives and 70mm release prints)."

I would guess by this time the HD transfers are sitting on the self.

They were probably done for HD tv at the time. The films themselve need little to hardly any restoration, the prints screened in LA were true perfection

mgdvd0

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines is available in Asia and had a limited release in the UK, so it will find its way eventually

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The Roadshow box idea is a fabulous one. You could do Roadshow Musicals or Roadshows (for the non-musicals). I'm in favor of anything that gets these films onto Blu-ray discs and into our hands.

mgdvd0

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
as i mentioned in another tread today ;

you can all "sign up to be notified" at Amazon for most of these titles - in bluray

It might take a while, but releases is often trigger by DEMAND, and the Amazon statistic over titles of HIGH demand are often given priority in the pipe line

it has happend more than once that a title has been bumped up based ond DEMAND from Amazon so go ahead and "force the studios" :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B00172R37I/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0
ir

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
While better films ("The Godfather", "All the Presidents Men" "Dog Day Afternoon") have been released, the weren't filmed in TODD-AO. They used the grainy 1970's film stocks and look okay, but the movies filmed in TODD-AO would be demonstration quality.

Yes, you can't compare "The Godfather" with "Doctor Dolittle" but Dolittle would look incredible on Blu and make sitting through it quite a bit easier

I saw "Dolittle" as a kid on tv (I was 8?).

As an adult went to a screening in 35mm attended by Samantha Eggar and thought the film truly awful.

Saw it a few years later during the 70MM festival at the Egyptian in LA and - it was a totally different film.

Maybe I was just taken by the amount of detail in the settings and costumes plus the sound was magnificent. Truly a pleasure to watch. The colors, the textures, the location shooting - this was a very expensive film - all up there on the screen. "Star!" also - incredible, "Hello Dolly" - even better (it is the better of the FOX musicals films) "Patton", "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines", "Cleopatra" - all spectacular.

If you have only seen these films on TV you really haven't experienced them the way they were meant to be seen

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
I remember seeing DOCTOR DOLITTLE in TODD-AO at the United Artists theater in Detroit in 67 and it was so sharp you could almost walk into the picture.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

I saw "Dolittle" as a kid on tv (I was 8?).

As an adult went to a screening in 35mm attended by Samantha Eggar and thought the film truly awful.

Saw it a few years later during the 70MM festival at the Egyptian in LA and - it was a totally different film.

Similar to what happened to me and CHITTY CHITTY on Blu. Been watching it since the 70s on TV, then VHS, then DVD. Always found myself a bit bored but stuck it out. Watching the Blu I was hypnotized. Go figure.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Mark B

Similar to what happened to me and CHITTY CHITTY on Blu. Been watching it since the 70s on TV, then VHS, then DVD. Always found myself a bit bored but stuck it out. Watching the Blu I was hypnotized. Go figure.

I've been having the same experience with this one with my daughter....I actually saw this one in a drive in during the late 60s and as much as I can recall (since I was about 4) it looked great then....

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
CCBB should really be the demonstration disc for classic catalog titles. I was a bit disappointed when "The Sound of Music" took best disc transfer last year, CCBB is much better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbess I've been having the same experience with this one with my daughter....I actually saw this one in a drive in during the late 60s and as much as I can recall (since I was about 4) it looked great then....

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Might I suggest that repeatedly asking Mr. Finn for an answer is most likely not going to prompt him to do so?

Often, people working for studios are unable to comment on titles that have yet to be announced - they may or may not have news, and may want to comment, but corporate guidelines often limit the circumstances under which they're allowed to comment. If or when there's news on these titles in the future, it's safe to assume that HTF readers will be among the first to know about it.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Yes, the studios reps aren't allowed to announce titles before the offical announcement date.

Scehdules change and they are comleteing with other studios for release day sales etc.

Though a hint once in a while may come our way, studio employees all sign confedenitally waviers stating they will not disclose company information until a press release is issued.

Once FOX decides they can give a general statment they will probably post it here, otherwise you'll have to wait for the offical anouncement

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Also, in general -- PLEASE be respectful toward industry insiders and other professionals who post here. No one is obligated to show up regularly or to respond to demands for information. Mr. Finn has been very helpful in the past, and we look forward to more dialogue with him when duties and time permit.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I did send Mr. Finn a link to this post.

He did reply that he was going to look into it.

I suspect that he simply got caught up with other

things. If he doesn't reply soon I'll see if I can

politely nudge him a bit.

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
Originally Posted by trajan

Just give us a yes. If you read our board. we really want and will buy more of the TODD-AO productions. Hint hint- CLEOPATRA - HELLO DOLLY- AGONY AND ESCTACY-DOCTOR DOLITTLE.-STAR!

short answer: yes...

While we can't give specific titles at this time, we are working on bringing these classics to Blu-ray, some earlier than others. Thanks for your continued support and passion!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks