Mr. Deeds (New Adam Sandler movie) Trailer Online

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Take a look.
    To me it seems a lot like all his other low-concept comedies. From what I could glean from the trailer, it's about a poor guy...who becomes rich. [​IMG]
    http://www.movie-list.com/m/mrdeeds.shtml
    Sandler can be a damn funny guy (Little Nicky nonwithstanding) so I'll probably enjoy this one.

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I also like Adam Sandler and I'm sure I will enjoy this! Thanks for the link Scott!

3. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

He's really sticking his neck out on this one...and it will remain to be seen if his raunchy humor schtick can hold up any longer. If he's clever, he will give it up this time around, and do something straight for a change.

I loved "Wedding Singer" but after that he resorted to Desparate Humorlessness...this an affliction affecting most socalled Scream-edions these days...and I'm sure he lost some/gain some because of this. It's not easy to manage a long term career, but it's easier to blow one! Former Saturday Night Live personalities are usually afflicted with this malady.

There are still plenty of people around who feel "Mr. Deeds" is still something sacred, so he better watch it !!!!

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Why would anyone want to remake a Frank Capra movie?

5. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Maybe that Mel Gibson shoot 'em up version of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington on The Simpsons wasn't such a stretch after all. [​IMG]
    I remember reading a couple of years ago that Miramax had purchased the remake rights to Harvey, which they bought with Sandler in mind. Hopefully that's been cast aside.

6. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Don't these new "Major Talents" ever do ANYTHING distinctive, other than make remakes ? One can say that they apparently don't "get it", and that it's the lamest thing to do to one's career, and it's the hardest type of project to overcome in terms of producing a singularly, entertaining film. But you know what..."They" do understand, all too well, because The Rules are that

conformity is rewarded, and dumbing down by appropriating original film properties and passing them off as "new" films.

A good example of how Hollywood Destroys, is "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington". I do like Tom Laughlin's remake of "Mr. Smith" very much and it is a good film...on it's own, but look what "They" did to him? The forces of Power in Hollywood, and Washington DC in this case, literally ran him out of the business TOTALLY...reacting the same way

to Laughlin, as they did to Capra when he made his film...only Capra prevailed! But Laughlin has the last laugh, when successive film studio generations produced successful star clones of "Billy Jack"..in Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarteneger, and Steven Segal, and co-opted his revolutionary film marketing strategies, he still was.

So now, we have Media Personalities who are the New Gods, and then when they do this remake thing, it's as if the past is not prologue and the remake is the new film.

Go figure !

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Well, on the bright side, it does have Winona Ryder and Steve Buscemi in it. But do they really think they can improve upon the original? Sandler's schtick is NO replacement for Cooper. Bleah!