Mr. Deeds Goes to Town and It Happened One Night

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Phil Dally, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Phil Dally

Phil Dally Stunt Coordinator

Jan 9, 2003
    Does anyone have any opinions on the current transfers of these movies or if they are going to be re-issued in the near future? Thanks

and while we're on the subject, The Apartment?
  2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Aug 2, 2001
    I have all three, and while they're definitely not perfect they're very watchable. (At least to my eye [​IMG] )

I haven't heard anything about re-issues for any of them. Mr. Deeds was re-issued with a new cover after the Sandlerized version a couple years ago.

"The Apartment" is the best film ever made (IMHO), and I would gladly pay for a new transfer.
  3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

May 16, 2001
    Patrick McCart
    It Happened One Night is an excellent DVD with a beautiful video transfer. There are some sections from dupes, but Columbia must have applied some digital restoration since print damage is surprisingly low (just some specks, really). I think a lot of it is from the negative, while other parts are from fine-grain positive (slightly more grain with "glow) and duplicate negative (grainy and softer). As usual, any shot with an optical wipe is grainy, but that's normal. However, no matter what generation the shot's from, the contrast is consistently perfect throughout the film.

Here's some screenshots from the DVD...

Sections that probably utilized o-neg material:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Probably fine-grain positive sections:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Probably dupe negative sections:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

(Note, I'm only assuming for the negative/fine-grain/dupe stuff. If anyone knows specifics on what was used for the restoration, it would be nice to know. Also, the JPG's are 800x600 resolution with 60% quality)