What's new

Pre-Order Mr. Capra Goes To War: Frank Capras World War II (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Reactions: PMF

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
What are the titles on this release? I’m interested in purchasing it, but would like the titles.

Reactions: PMF

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What are the titles on this release? I’m interested in purchasing it, but would like the titles.
I can't find any information either, other than the non-information on Amazon that Bryan posted above, but I would guess some or all of the "Why We Fight" propaganda series commissioned by Army Chief of Staff George C. Marshall:
  • Prelude to War (1942)
  • The Nazis Strike (1943)
  • Divide and Conquer (1943)
  • The Battle of Britain (1943)
  • The Battle of Russia (1943)
  • The Battle of China (1944)
  • War Comes to America (1945)
All are in the public domain. So I would imagine that it probably just depends on the quality of the elements, whether Olive can afford to include them or not. Some of the racial inventive has not aged well, and they're propaganda films so they're meant to make the Allied cause look unfailingly good, and the Axis powers as monstrous subhumans, but they're an important artifact of the time. And it's still really neat and inventive how Capra reedited and recontextualized footage from the Axis powers' own propaganda films to work against them.

Capra was a commissioned major in the United States Army during this period, so there were no commercial works.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I can't find any information either, other than the non-information on Amazon that Bryan posted above, but I would guess some or all of the "Why We Fight" propaganda series commissioned by Army Chief of Staff George C. Marshall:
  • Prelude to War (1942)
  • The Nazis Strike (1943)
  • Divide and Conquer (1943)
  • The Battle of Britain (1943)
  • The Battle of Russia (1943)
  • The Battle of China (1944)
  • War Comes to America (1945)
All are in the public domain. So I would imagine that it probably just depends on the quality of the elements, whether Olive can afford to include them or not. Some of the racial inventive has not aged well, and they're propaganda films so they're meant to make the Allied cause look unfailingly good, and the Axis powers as monstrous subhumans, but they're an important artifact of the time. And it's still really neat and inventive how Capra reedited and recontextualized footage from the Axis powers' own propaganda films to work against them.

Capra was a commissioned major in the United States Army during this period, so there were no commercial works.

the entire Why We Fight was released by Periscope Films on blu ray that actuly did do a restoration, and much like thecomplaint about Triumph of the Will having bug in the corner, periscope did the same so other companies cant steal therir work, i should know i have a copy, what i am thinking is that may be the other films that was done for the War Department that were not part of the Why We Fight series, but with out run times it is difficulte to tell.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
This could be a companion to the John Huston wartime films set Olive released a few years ago. It featured San Pietro, Let There Be Light, Winning Your Wings, and Report from the Aleutians - all from HD transfers by Library of Congress.

Though, the Why We Fight series is about 6-7 hours total, so this would be a two-disc set if it's including all of that plus the other Capra-directed WWII films.

Periscope's release seems to be useless - screencaps point to it being upscaled from 480i between aliasing and noise reduction.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Olive Films has made more information available about this release.

It contains two of the Why We Fight films (Prelude to War and The Battle of Russia), two other propaganda films from World War II (Tunisian Victory and The Negro Soldier), and a short (Your Job in Germany).

Olive Films is trumpeting the participation of the National Archives in this release, so presumably the two double-dips will be in better shape than the Periscope release.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I've had a chance to look at the John Huston set and the transfers are all excellent. Zero digital work other than high quality scans. National Archives also worked with Thunderbean for the Private Snafu set (which also has excellent HD transfers) and Kino's Pioneers of African-American Cinema had a true HD master of The Negro Soldier.

While I wish they would have included the entire Why We Fight series, the two episodes included are the only ones given a theatrical release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morkys
Recent bookmarks