What's new

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House still not out on blu ray? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
There really isn’t a correlation between what’s on the Criterion streaming channel and what they might release on disc - two different sets of licenses in the overwhelming majority of cases.
Right, this isn't the same situation as HBO Max which seems to be stopping that practice the last couple of months.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
On any of these digital services, you can't go by digital's trailers as most of them, particularly, those movies of older vintage are mediocre at best and fail miserably compared to the actual digital's video presentation.

...which in turn would, when streaming, fail miserably compared to a good Blu-ray release...

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
If those were to appear along with The Talk of the Town (I believe we're expecting this one from the Warner Archive?),
There is no way Sony would license The Talk of the Town to Warner Archive! :D

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It must've been Criterion then, sorry. :)

Or I dreamt that it sounded like it was all but certain that it was going to be hitting Blu-Ray in 2021. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened. But I'm pretty sure folks around here were talking about a new HD transfer of it hitting a streaming service back about when Room for One More got announced, with the believe that a Blu-Ray announcement was highly likely sometime soon.

Edit: It may of just been this post from Justin that I'm remembering, but hopefully his guess ends up correct.

Those are good ones too Leo! I’d like to own those as well. And don’t forget Gunga Din! I see it’s a Warner title too.

The Philadelphia Story and The Awful Truth is out on blu ray from Criterion.

It was a sloppy post from me. I meant to say Bringing Up Baby.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys for all the learnings! Sure, I understand that Criterion would have two business models and one doesn’t follow the other. So what they are streaming is not necessarily going to be released on blu ray. It would be great if in this case, the Blandings would come out on disc. :)

Hey Leo, got it. It’s easy to make a slip every now and then. :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Here go again.:rolleyes:

Jus' sayin'. And it's not as though you haven't also repeated yourself many times over the years on these forums, right? Who hasn't? But, while you consider this to be a tired old argument, others are new to this site or simply did not happen to view it earlier. I respect you, Robert, but please be a tad more gracious toward your fellow long-timers here. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Jus' sayin'. And it's not as though you haven't also repeated yourself many times over the years on these forums, right? Who hasn't? But, while you consider this to be a tired old argument, others are new to this site or simply did not happen to view it earlier. I respect you, Robert, but please be a tad more gracious toward your fellow long-timers here. ;)
I respect you too, but there are very few people that haven't already developed an opinion by now regarding "streaming vs. physical media". It is a tired old argument and a purchasing decision that is as personal as you can have regarding how you spend your entertainment dollars. Furthermore, do we have to repeat this discussion in every thread in BD, when most of us agree that physical disc has its advantages over streaming. And, yes, streaming has some advantages too especially when it comes to cost, no physical storage and convenience. Those three advantages alone are more important to most of the general public than what we as HT enthusiasts think is important here. That is especially true for younger generations.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I finished watching Mr. Blandings last night from the DVD rip I made. It’s very very watchable with a nice image. Ultimately, I hope there will be a true HD version available.

I followed up with a little bit of To Catch A Thief, the 2012 blu ray that I also ripped. It’s kind of a shock, jumping 7 years ahead to HD and color. Ha, ha!

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
Fun fact about People Will Talk.

Cary Grant made 72 feature films in his career, but he only claimed 68 of them in his personal papers. Four films were “disowned,” though obviously he’s still in them whether or not he acknowledges that.

People Will Talk is one of the disowned four.
Any reason given why Grant disowned them?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
He didn’t think they were up to snuff compared to his other works. The specific objections were in the Evening with Cary Grant book (I think) but my copy is buried in attic storage so I can’t double check at this time.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
It must've been Criterion then, sorry. :)

Or I dreamt that it sounded like it was all but certain that it was going to be hitting Blu-Ray in 2021. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened. But I'm pretty sure folks around here were talking about a new HD transfer of it hitting a streaming service back about when Room for One More got announced, with the believe that a Blu-Ray announcement was highly likely sometime soon.

Edit: It may of just been this post from Justin that I'm remembering, but hopefully his guess ends up correct.

It was a sloppy post from me. I meant to say Bringing Up Baby.
Yes, Criterion licensed the Grant films originally released by SPHE in 2006 as The Cary Grant Box Set. Criterion released Only Angels Have Wings in 2016, His Girl Friday in 2017, The Awful Truth in 2018, and most recently, Holiday in 2020. Perhaps The Talk of the Town will arrive this year OR skip a year (like the Holiday release) and make its way to Blu in 2022, OR perhaps unforeseen issues/delays have suspended its release. Criterion, of course, would have more information on this. When/if Talk of the Town makes its way to Blu, my debit card and I will be ready to purchase.

Real Name
Klaus Stukator
Would love to see the original RKO opening reinstated instead of the Selznick logo. After all, SRO (Selznick Releasing Organisation) distributed the movie only in the US and Canada out of contractual reasons. Everywhere else and in the US from 1953 on upon its re-release it has been an RKO title. Furthermore when listening carefully the transition from the Selznick logo to the actual main titles is by no means a smooth one.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Klaus, your post had me curious, so I dug out my oldest copy of Mr. Blandings I have in my collection. I have a laser disc that has a Turner Entertainment copyright date of 1989 vs the DVD which is dated 2004. There is a 1975 RKO renewed date too.

I played the laser disc and the Selznick logo is there too. As the Selznick logo begins to fade to the film titles, there is a blending of the Selznick music to the titles music of the film. It didn’t sound rough on the laser disc. Sounded similar to the DVD. But then I’ve never seen a version of this film with an RKO title, so it would be interesting if that is restored on the blu ray.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Would love to see the original RKO opening reinstated instead of the Selznick logo. After all, SRO (Selznick Releasing Organisation) distributed the movie only in the US and Canada out of contractual reasons. Everywhere else and in the US from 1953 on upon its re-release it has been an RKO title. Furthermore when listening carefully the transition from the Selznick logo to the actual main titles is by no means a smooth one.
It would be interesting to see if the RKO logo is on the OCN.

Real Name
Klaus Stukator
It would be interesting to see if the RKO logo is on the OCN.
Yes, indeed. If not, the Selznick logo must have been plastered by the RKO logo upon the movie's re-release in 1953. A very strange procedure for an RKO in-house production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarvelManiac68