What's new

Mr Bean Uncut? (1 Viewer)

JackRE

Auditioning
Was Mr Bean ever rereleased uncut on DVD in USA or elsewhere? My A&E copy is cut :frowning:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

No, it isn't. The versions of the episodes on that set are exactly the way they originally aired on ITV in England.

Some episodes (namely, the Christmas special and "Do It Yourself, Mr. Bean") had some "cut" footage edited back in when they had their US premiere on HBO (which was after the original UK airings), so technically, the early US showings (and VHS releases) are "extended" versions.

I think it would've been nice for A&E to have included these as deleted scenes, though, as most people in the US remember these bits (and I remember being outraged when I first heard these scenes were missing, then calmed down when I found out that's the way they were originally presented).

This also explains why the British PAL-VHS release of the series I bought several years ago had the "buying the chair" scene missing in "Do It Yourself."

Mark Lx

Second Unit
That chair scene is one of the best. The fact that all existing skits/footage aren't on as extras is bizaare and disappointing.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

You mean "Are they extended?"

Didn't you read Andy's post? You own the uncut version.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The Mr. Bean DVDs represent all of the episodes as they originally aired on ITV. Some of these episodes were extended with extra sequences when they aired in the US and Canada, since they were shown on public networks (e.g. PBS) commercial free. It would have been nice to have the additional bits & skits as extras, though.

Regards,

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Sort of. Some episodes (the two examples I've mentioned are the only ones I know of) were extended on the earliest runs of the series in the US. The US television premiere for Mr. Bean was on HBO. I think later in the same year (or the next one), the series also turned up on PBS, using the same extended prints. I think "Do It Yourself" runs 35-40 minutes with the added scene in (certainly, longer than 30 minutes as I remember. I know I have my old HBO tape somewhere...).

A few years ago, it seems that Mr. Bean was re-sold to PBS affiliates, only this time, they sent the approved 25-minute ITV versions instead and the longer versions have remained untelevised (and no longer distributed on video) since then. I thought I'd heard, though, that either the turkey or the chair scene appeared on the "Best Bits" DVD.

Perhaps Rowan Atkinson and the producers didn't find out about these "long" versions until then, and had Thames/Tiger television re-distribute the approved versions only.

Again, as others have said, it would've been nice to have seen these bits as deleted scenes, and it Atkinson, Curtis, et al were unhappy with the sequences, perhaps a brief commentary could've accompanied the clips explaining why the sequences were cut, and perhaps, shedding some light onto how they came to be included in American versions in the first place (likely, HBO wanted longer edits, wherever possible, to fill the timeslot).

It's also a pity the boxset didn't include the "Police Station" sketch that was aired on Comic Relief (thankfully, I have it on the PAL-format "Comic Relief: Pick of the Nose" video).

The ITV versions of Mr. Bean are indisputably the definitive versions, though. Many of the "first season" (sic) episodes were aired a year or more before they were shown in the US!

Mark Lx

Second Unit

Can anyone confirm this. I've seen the flashback show on TV before but can't remember. I've seen the chair seen countless times in it's regular episode and probably have it on tape somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks