Mr. Bean problems

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by James W. Johnson, Oct 6, 2004.

1. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

I recently purchased this set and on disc 3 around chapter 5 @ 18 min and some change I get some freezing and pixeling.
    I just wanted to check here firs to see if there are any known issues with this disc before returning it to Columbia House for a replacment.

thanks

2. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

An unrelated issue I remember hearing about was that some of the episodes are edited.

3. Jim Blackie

Jim Blackie Stunt Coordinator

No problems with my set...

4. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke

There's an extensive discussion about it in the "Film & Documentary" forum here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=120916

Apparently, the cut scenes were strictly filler since the station it aired on in the UK was commercial free or something to that effect.

Anyway, in relation to the topic, there are no defects with my set what-so-ever.

5. JasonJason

JasonJason Stunt Coordinator

Mine seems to be fine as well.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Mine was OK as well.

7. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Actually, Mr. Bean ran on commercial TV (ITV), so the episodes were in a 30 minute slot with commercials included.

I think the "extra" scenes are only in two episodes: the Christmas special (where Bean 'guesses' the weight of the turkey) and the "Do it Yourself" episode (where he competes with an elderly couple for a marked-down recliner in the post-Christmas sale).

Both of these scenes were not part of the original British broadcasts, so Rowan Atkinson considers the original British versions as definitive. Those two episodes were expanded (either by Tiger Television for international sale, or by HBO to fill up the 30 minute timeslot) after the original broadcast. These scenes have never been shown in the UK, incidentally.

Outtakes or not, it would've been nice if we could have seen them on the disc as "deleted scenes", as the footage is well-known enough that many people (including yours truly) thought the episodes were edited on first hearing about it. Putting them in a deleted scenes section with a text explanation (or a commentary from the producer or Atkinson explaining why they were trimmed) would've been most helpful.