What's new

Press Release MPI Press Release: The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Plus at the beginning of every episode with the opening credits, there are these tiny little numbers in white appearing at the bottom of the screen. You have to really look closely to see them. Any idea what these are?

I haven’t noticed - can you take a photo of them and post it?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Tim, if you are talking about that little square on the bottom, center right of the screen, at the edge of the lawn, when they show the front of the house. It's a plaque with their house number, 1822, spiked into the lawn.

PDVD_0002.jpg

Last edited:

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Tim, if you are talking about that little square on the bottom, center right of the screen, at the edge of the lawn, when they show the front of the house. It's a plaque with their house number, 1822, spiked into the lawn.

View attachment 148928
Yes. That is what I was referring to. I was wondering what that was. Thank you.

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
Enjoying the sets so far, I now have seasons 1-4, and have 5 and 6 pre-ordered, but I've just been sitting here wondering, since MPI Video is using later "rebroadcasts" for some episodes in the earlier season releases of "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet" to make up for lost/severely damaged prints, how they are going to handle the later seasons when the rebroadcasts were aired. I mean, are they going to put the same episode in that particular season set again, or skip it? Technically, it COULD be considered a "new" episode, since those rebroadcasts had new intro/outro segments.

DaveM4964

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Davey Meredith
Enjoying the sets so far, I now have seasons 1-4, and have 5 and 6 pre-ordered, but I've just been sitting here wondering, since MPI Video is using later "rebroadcasts" for some episodes in the earlier season releases of "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet" to make up for lost/severely damaged prints, how they are going to handle the later seasons when the rebroadcasts were aired. I mean, are they going to put the same episode in that particular season set again, or skip it? Technically, it COULD be considered a "new" episode, since those rebroadcasts had new intro/outro segments.
Interesting question! I'm guessing they will skip it, but if they do and buyers don't buy every set they will miss out on some episodes.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

They’ll almost certainly skip them - they’d be considered repeats of original episodes and not unique entries unto themselves. I think the reason the rebroadcast versions were included in the first place was because those are the only extant versions - it wasn’t uncommon in those days to recut and reuse the original negatives when making a rebroadcast version, and the material cut out of the original version would have been tossed.

I think if there are some episodes where both versions exist, we’re only getting one version - but I suspect the original versions of the recut episodes are mostly long gone so it’s probably a moot point.

Totally agree that it’s worth including when possible - I really enjoyed seeing the I Love Lucy Blu-rays that had offered multiple versions on a few of the episodes.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
The "Bewitched" DVD sets included the same Christmas episode on multiple seasons because of the new introductions for the episode made each season. I never checked IMDB to see if it counted them as additional episodes.

Looking over the IMDB episode air dates, for O&H, especially in December, you can see gaps that likely mean older Christmas episodes were rerun.

On the older episodes rerun with new intros & outros, plus a current Ricky song, it makes sense that the 'new version' would be in the syndication package. Since, they still would want to promote record sales.

Did a particular Rick song stand-alone performance appear in more than one episode? If no, we would lose that performance, if it only appeared in the edited rerun version and the original version was available for the DVDs.

Somebody said that the retooled episodes were in the original broadcast form on some of the Public Domain releases and YouTube. If so, can someone list those episode titles? I want to check my old O&H PD and YouTube collection.

Episode S2E5 "David's Pipe" stuttered and froze right near the end, on my DVD, and jumped to the next episode. Was there a Rick song at the end? The version I have from YouTube has a song.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Episode S2E5 "David's Pipe" stuttered and froze right near the end, on my DVD, and jumped to the next episode. Was there a Rick song at the end? The version I have from YouTube has a song.
Bob this episode played through to the very end just fine and there is no Rick Nelson song. I would suggest trying your disc on another player and if it still happens contact MPI Home Video for a replacement.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I have a new favorite episode that I’d never previously seen: S2’s “The Old-Fashioned Remedy”. I had several big laughs at the dialogue between Ozzie, Thorny, and the doctor (Frank Cady). Seeing Ozzie under the influence with Gaffney’s Blood Tonic (20% alcohol) was a comic delight! A classic among classics for sure. I’m very curious what Harriet’s hangover cure consists of, as I might need to try it some day 😉 (By comparison, I don’t recall any “Leave It To Beaver” episode where Ward got hammered).

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I am behind many of you on watching some of these. Right now, watching the early ones from Season 2. I see that David's 17th Birthday, originally from 1953, is a rebroadcast from 1960 even though it doesn't say that inside the case. Rick sings "Glory Train" at the end.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I checked the original air date for that episode. It was October 23, 1953. Actually, I might be mistaken on what song Rick sang at the end of the rebroadcast. There was another early episode from that season that was also a rebroadcast and Rick did sing "Glory Train". One rebroadcast was around Christmas because during Ozzie's intro, you could see Christmas decorations in the background. If someone wishes to check on this, please do so.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
i love that even though Frank Cady plays Doc Williams he also plays other characters like sporting goods salesman and multiple repairmen. He just puts on a mustache or hairpiece and presto. New character. And so sarcastic. I love it.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I have a new favorite episode that I’d never previously seen: S2’s “The Old-Fashioned Remedy”. I had several big laughs at the dialogue between Ozzie, Thorny, and the doctor (Frank Cady). Seeing Ozzie under the influence with Gaffney’s Blood Tonic (20% alcohol) was a comic delight! A classic among classics for sure. I’m very curious what Harriet’s hangover cure consists of, as I might need to try it some day 😉 (By comparison, I don’t recall any “Leave It To Beaver” episode where Ward got hammered).

Like Ozzie, I too can testify to the wonder-working power of Gaffney's Blood Tonic. Never fails me. -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks