What's new

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
My copies arrived yesterday (Friday), so I'm now a happy camper. USPS actually did a good job getting them to me via Media Mail considering DD didn't actually get them into the physical system until late Tuesday evening. But I've still got Bull Moose handling seasons 5 & 6 next go around

Gary "I have to do everything within my power to get 'The Duenna' on my screen for viewing as quickly as possible" O. :laugh:

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
I finally received 3&4 from Target last Friday.
Again, I'm really happy that they are finally releasing the entire series.

I thought I was gong to binge-watch them in order from the get-go, but decided to wait for S1, as I received S2 first, then opted to wait for 3&4.
Since Friday, I've been watching 5-7 cherry-picked episodes per day, and liking them. Some were old favorites, others were some I have never seen before.

My minor complaint with the video is its lack of detail.
Yes, although I can see things that weren't visible in previous unofficial offerings, the video seems to be too softened/filtered.
This can be easily remedied by increasing the contrast and readjusting the brightness, which is OK for binge-watching, but will be an inconvenience when grouping them in a misc. playlist, which then gets shuffled...oh well, another item to go on my first world problem list guess!

I'm sort of disappointed with the audio, even in season four.
Not so much with the calrity, but with the distortion, especially incolving quite a few of the words that end in 'S'.
I haven't compared them with my T/L ,Shout, PD releases, or even YouTube for that matter, which of course the latter versions would be heavily compressed and limited, so those offerings shouldn't count.

Hoping things change in S5 or 6 at the end of this month.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Wally Dipple invents an unusual garage door opener. Ozzie and Thorny want to invest in it, but their plans hit a little snag.

Please note: Clips do not contain spoilers. Images are not modified.

S03E07 Wally Dipple's Garage Door (Dec.03.1954)-1.jpg S03E07 Wally Dipple's Garage Door (Dec.03.1954)-3.jpg S03E07 Wally Dipple's Garage Door (Dec.03.1954)-6.jpg S03E07 Wally Dipple's Garage Door (Dec.03.1954)-10.jpg S03E07 Wally Dipple's Garage Door (Dec.03.1954)-12.jpg S03E07 Wally Dipple's Garage Door (Dec.03.1954)-14.jpg S03E07 Wally Dipple's Garage Door (Dec.03.1954)-16.jpg S03E07 Wally Dipple's Garage Door (Dec.03.1954)-19.jpg

mark-edk

Second Unit
Not so much with the calrity, but with the distortion, especially incolving quite a few of the words that end in 'S'.
I haven't compared them with my T/L ,Shout, PD releases, or even YouTube for that matter, which of course the latter versions would be heavily compressed and limited, so those offerings shouldn't count.
The 'Carnation Perfume' episode is difficult to listen to. Another case of heavy noise reduction processing smothering the audio. There was another ep that was almost as bad but at the end it sounded like the original audio track had been damaged so I'll give them a pass on that.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I finally received 3&4 from Target last Friday.
Again, I'm really happy that they are finally releasing the entire series.

I thought I was gong to binge-watch them in order from the get-go, but decided to wait for S1, as I received S2 first, then opted to wait for 3&4.
Since Friday, I've been watching 5-7 cherry-picked episodes per day, and liking them. Some were old favorites, others were some I have never seen before.

My minor complaint with the video is its lack of detail.
Yes, although I can see things that weren't visible in previous unofficial offerings, the video seems to be too softened/filtered.
This can be easily remedied by increasing the contrast and readjusting the brightness, which is OK for binge-watching, but will be an inconvenience when grouping them in a misc. playlist, which then gets shuffled...oh well, another item to go on my first world problem list guess!

Hoping things change in S5 or 6 at the end of this month.
I noticed the audio in some early episodes isn't the best, but overall these look and sound better than any previous versions out.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
On the episodes from Seasons 3 & 4, does the announcer mention about this being an ABC Television Network Presentation? It isn't on the Season 1 episodes I've watched. The end credits followed by the 2020 copyright notice.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Ricky wants to turn in his old train set in for a new chemistry set.​

On the episodes from Seasons 3 & 4, does the announcer mention about this being an ABC Television Network Presentation?
Tim beginning on the Season Four episodes the announcer can be heard saying, This has been an ABC Network Presentation. The Season Three episodes only display the ABC bumper.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I ordered S1, S2, and S3 from Target during that buy 2 get 1 free sale. They back ordered S1 and S2 and after a month they never updated with a new delivery date. It still said June 23-28.

They shipped S3 and I was hoping to find S1 and S2 in the package, but no luck on that. I received only S3 on Thursday June 28.

So, I cancelled S1 and S2 at Target, and ordered S1, S2, and S4 from DeepDiscount on Friday June 29 and received all three on Tuesday, Aug 3. Four days!!!, with free regular shipping.

I did take a look at a couple of S3 episodes and compared them with what I had handy, to look at, from YouTube. I noticed, on S3E2 the YouTube had a Public Service Announcement, narrated by Harriet, at the beginning, for Christmas Seals. The new release doesn't have that. Maybe it shows up on an episode closer to Christmas.

I did notice that the end credits sometimes have extra footage behind the type. Some of the PD prints have the type over a plain screen. I'm not sure if the extra live action footage behind the credits is from the episode or out takes. I was not watching that close. Nice to see that.

Last edited:

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I'm in the middle of season 2 and noticed several episodes with print damage and audio distortion (one episode the audience laughter sounds all garbled and distorted, it really took me out of the story). How much remastering did MPI do on this or did they just put out what little work Sam Nelson did to them? Most episodes I'm happy with but I would have been willing to wait longer for each season if they had more work done to them. I was hoping the quality would get better with each season but sounds like that's not the case. What a shame. One of the longest running sitcoms in tv history deserves better than this. This series should be looking like The Donna Reed Show. Oh well, not trying to be a complainer I'm happy to have what I have but this could have been so much more. Just my 2 cents.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
I'm in the middle of season 2 and noticed several episodes with print damage and audio distortion (one episode the audience laughter sounds all garbled and distorted, it really took me out of the story). How much remastering did MPI do on this or did they just put out what little work Sam Nelson did to them? Most episodes I'm happy with but I would have been willing to wait longer for each season if they had more work done to them. I was hoping the quality would get better with each season but sounds like that's not the case. What a shame. One of the longest running sitcoms in tv history deserves better than this. This series should be looking like The Donna Reed Show. Oh well, not trying to be a complainer I'm happy to have what I have but this could have been so much more. Just my 2 cents.
I tend to think that with releases like this, it isn't so much who does more work than another, but what shape the prints were in from the start. The big studios like Warner and CBS/Paramount can afford to do major restoration work, but not the smaller companies like MPI and Shout!. Yes, some tweaks here and there but nothing major. I'm guessing the prints available for Donna Reed were just better in general then what was available for O&H.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Did anyone notice at the beginning credits of the episodes, there are these tiny numbers or letters in white near the bottom of the screen. They disappear after a few seconds. I think on some of the public domain ones, there are similar little numbers and letters near the bottom right. Anyone have a clue on this?

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I am happy too. A few minor things, but overall better than I could have hoped for.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A show like O&H, to a certain degree, was the victim of its own success. There are 435 episodes over 14 seasons, which is a ton of content. It’s the equivalent of over well over 100 movies. Each season set that has come out thus far has been priced the same as a single new release feature film, but has roughly the same amount of content as 8-10 films.

Stop and think about that for a second - they’re doing ten movies worth of work on each set and charging you the price of one movie to see it.

They can’t really charge anymore than that; TV on disc is such a niche market that there isn’t a large enough audience to pay premium pricing to cover the costs of the work.

So in a sense, a project like this begins life already stuck between a rock and a hard place - the costs are high, and the amount an audience will pay for it is low.

What do you do?

Use a lot of automated tools, and then have humans look over the results and make corrections and changes as possible. Which is exactly what they do on big budget feature film restorations too. The difference here is, there are much fewer resources to do labor intensive manual passes over each and every frame and potential episode.

Given those limitations, I think they did a very respectable job of getting this done on a limited budget with a limited potential market.

If you want to consider something like The Abbott & Costello Show Season 1 a gold standard to do this work, I couldn’t disagree. But I would also point out that the complete series of A&C is only slightly more episodes than just a single season of O&H, that A&C took in a huge amount of crowdfunding support to make happen, and it took the restorationists over a year to do just one season. The discs also were priced nearly three times what O&H is.

And this is where O&H is a victim of its own success. If it was just a two season show, you could raise the money to do higher quality work and raise the price of the discs to make up for that. The entire project could have been done in two years. But with O&H having the sheer number of episodes it does, that’s probably 15 years of work to do it at the level A&C was done with the small group of very skilled independent contractors that worked on that project. Unfortunately, the market for classic TV on disc just isn’t there to support a 15 year staggered release schedule with individual seasons priced at three times or more than what the current sets are priced at.

At a certain point, you have to make a choice of whether or not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. That’s what Warner Archive does with their Blu-ray releases; if they can’t achieve perfection on a title, they don’t do it at all. I am glad that that wasn’t the mindset here and that they’ve found a way to get us these episodes in a way that seems manageable and sustainable. They seemed determined not to let these releases stall out and that’s huge for a 14 season show.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
A show like O&H, to a certain degree, was the victim of its own success. There are 435 episodes over 14 seasons, which is a ton of content. It’s the equivalent of over well over 100 movies. Each season set that has come out thus far has been priced the same as a single new release feature film, but has roughly the same amount of content as 8-10 films.

Stop and think about that for a second - they’re doing ten movies worth of work on each set and charging you the price of one movie to see it.

They can’t really charge anymore than that; TV on disc is such a niche market that there isn’t a large enough audience to pay premium pricing to cover the costs of the work.

So in a sense, a project like this begins life already stuck between a rock and a hard place - the costs are high, and the amount an audience will pay for it is low.

What do you do?

Use a lot of automated tools, and then have humans look over the results and make corrections and changes as possible. Which is exactly what they do on big budget feature film restorations too. The difference here is, there are much fewer resources to do labor intensive manual passes over each and every frame and potential episode.

Given those limitations, I think they did a very respectable job of getting this done on a limited budget with a limited potential market.

If you want to consider something like The Abbott & Costello Show Season 1 a gold standard to do this work, I couldn’t disagree. But I would also point out that the complete series of A&C is only slightly more episodes than just a single season of O&H, that A&C took in a huge amount of crowdfunding support to make happen, and it took the restorationists over a year to do just one season. The discs also were priced nearly three times what O&H is.

And this is where O&H is a victim of its own success. If it was just a two season show, you could raise the money to do higher quality work and raise the price of the discs to make up for that. The entire project could have been done in two years. But with O&H having the sheer number of episodes it does, that’s probably 15 years of work to do it at the level A&C was done with the small group of very skilled independent contractors that worked on that project. Unfortunately, the market for classic TV on disc just isn’t there to support a 15 year staggered release schedule with individual seasons priced at three times or more than what the current sets are priced at.

At a certain point, you have to make a choice of whether or not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. That’s what Warner Archive does with their Blu-ray releases; if they can’t achieve perfection on a title, they don’t do it at all. I am glad that that wasn’t the mindset here and that they’ve found a way to get us these episodes in a way that seems manageable and sustainable. They seemed determined not to let these releases stall out and that’s huge for a 14 season show.
Yeah, I understand all that and I'm not saying I'm ungrateful because I'm not. Like I said in a previous post I'm thrilled to have these in my collection. I'm happy so far with most of these episodes. It's too bad this series didn't get worked on way back when B/W tv shows were more popular. It is what it is. I agree with you, I'll take this over not having it at all and very grateful to Sam Nelson for at least making an effort to get these out. I guess I'm just looking at the what could have been.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's too bad this series didn't get worked on way back when B/W tv shows were more popular.

Amen to that! I’m so glad it’s happening now but yeah, I’m sorry the stuff wasn’t taken great care of to begin with and took so long to come together on top of that. On the silver living side, twenty years ago it wouldn’t have been on my radar and now it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrossAtlantic
Recent bookmarks