What's new

Press Release MPI Press Release: The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
It's been rather quiet in here lately. Guess everyone's got their season 1 and 2 sets by now and is busy watching them.

I've been continuing my sojourn through S1, probably much more slowly than many members here. I've been pretty much watching an episode a night, usually right before bed, and have been finding the gentle antics of the Nelson family a relaxing tonic. This is such a genuinely funny, sharply-written show.

I decided to follow Josh's lead and skip the S1 holiday-themed episodes for the time being. For one thing, I've already seen them (though not in this video quality), and for another, I'd prefer to watch them again later in conjunction with their appropriate seasons. So for now, I'm bypassing "The Day After Thanksgiving" (which I'll watch in November) and both "Boy's Christmas Money" and "Late Christmas Gift" (which I'll watch sometime in December, naturally). Just finished another fun one (1.14 "Newpaper Write-Up"), so the new-to-me viewing continues from here on out.

Loving these sets!

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Yes, I will be preordering seasons 3 and 4 very soon. I'm heading back to the States for two weeks at the end of this month (first time back since 2019!), and so will have these two shipped to my family's home in WA instead of Japan. Perfect timing for this next release!

Here's hoping that we get an announcement for seasons 7 and 8, to be released before the end of the year.

Last edited:

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I hope there’s enough room to throw my defense lawyer mindset explanation of the missing ding out that same window, as I’ll bet the farm on your explanation.

Interesting about replacing some of the original scores with library tracks, were they changed for copyright reasons, or as an enhancement afterthought?
Watching Alfred Hitchcock Presents in the present day, I recall hearing four or so catchy little ditties that were also used in Leave It To Beaver, or vice versa.
Listen to Crime and Peter Chambers, an NBC Radio series from 1954 starring Dane Clark and you'll hear a particular musical ditty from Hitchcock and Beaver that would open that premiere episode during the narration part. The episode would end with what would become the Captain Kangaroo theme, "Puffin' Billy."

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's been rather quiet in here lately. Guess everyone's got their season 1 and 2 sets by now and is busy watching them.

I've been continuing my sojourn through S1, probably much more slowly than many members here. I've been pretty much watching an episode a night, usually right before bed, and have been finding the gentle antics of the Nelson family a relaxing tonic. This is such a genuinely funny, sharply-written show.

I decided to follow Josh's lead and skip the S1 holiday-themed episodes for the time being. For one thing, I've already seen them (though not in this video quality), and for another, I'd prefer to watch them again later in conjunction with their appropriate seasons. So for now, I'm bypassing "The Day After Thanksgiving" (which I'll watch in November) and both "Boy's Christmas Money" and "Late Christmas Gift" (which I'll watch sometime in December, naturally). Just finished another fun one (1.14 "Newpaper Write-Up"), so the new-to-me viewing continues from here on out.

Loving these sets!
I've put my viewing on temporary hold... July is "SF/Fantasy Challenge" month on another board and I participate in that heavily (have for 12 years). That means I watch nothing but SF/Fantasy titles (movie or TV) this month. Period. I guess you could argue that many of Ozzie's scripts border on fantasy though... Hmmm..... Nope - needs that genre tag on IMDB or other movie site.

By the time the month's over I *should* have S3 & S4 in my hot, grubby, little hands! That gives me 2 short months before the Horror Challenge starts... November is the Comedy Challenge so what's left (and hopefully that'll include S5 & S6) will go into heavy play at that point. :)

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I got a note from Amazon that my S3 & 4 delivery date was moved to August, and they’re charging more for those seasons (at least at this moment) than they did for S1 & S2. I then saw Bullmoose had them for $19.99 and they still anticipate shipping at release date. They offer free shipping for orders over $35 and don’t collect sales tax, and they are a small company I like to support when I can, so I switched my order there. I’m still in S1 so even if they did get delayed and arrive a couple weeks after street date I don’t think I’d be ready for them yet anyway.

The Pancake Mix is up next for me, which I fondly remember as one of the first ones I saw back in 2019 - I’ll be happy to revisit it.

For those interested in cherry soda, my grocery store just started carrying Cheerwine, which I had heard about but never tried before. No alcohol but it does have caffeine, which is unusual for cherry soda. It’s hard to describe the taste - sort of a more cherry flavored Dr Pepper with a hint of a medicinal taste. I think I like it but it’s kinda hard to say. One sip makes you want to have another, and I keep thinking I’ll make up my mind on the next one and I’m still unsure. That sounds like an Ozzie problem, doesn’t it? :)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Loving these sets!
Thanks for not posting any spoilers Jeff as I haven't gotten into this as far you have. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
For those interested in cherry soda, my grocery store just started carrying Cheerwine, which I had heard about but never tried before. No alcohol but it does have caffeine, which is unusual for cherry soda. It’s hard to describe the taste - sort of a more cherry flavored Dr Pepper with a hint of a medicinal taste. I think I like it but it’s kinda hard to say. One sip makes you want to have another, and I keep thinking I’ll make up my mind on the next one and I’m still unsure. That sounds like an Ozzie problem, doesn’t it? :)
Pictures or it didn't happen, Josh! ;)

Seriously, thanks for the heads-up about the potential Amazon street date delay for S3 and S4, and for the info about Bullmoose. Haven't used that vendor before, but have heard many good things about them in recent years, so will likely go with them this time. Plus that $19.99 price point for both sets is nice.

It'll be a while before I get to "The Pancake Mix" but am looking forward to it.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I'm on my last disc of season 1. My takeaway so far: the audio is a mixed bag, some episodes sound better than others ( I think "Boxing Matches" has been the worst so far). I'm pretty happy with the PQ in general. Do I wish the remastering could have been a little bit better? Sure! But the PQ on these are light years better than what I had and to FINALLY have every episode now, WOW! So final verdict: Is it perfect? No. But I'm still thrilled to have it. Looking forward to adding each season to my collection.

One nice surprise: In the episode "Dental Receptionist" form Season 1, guest starred Shirley Mitchell. I knew right away when I heard her southern belle accent. The same accent she used as Lela Ransom on The Great Gildersleeve radio show.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I'm on my last disc of season 1. My takeaway so far: the audio is a mixed bag, some episodes sound better than others ( I think "Boxing Matches" has been the worst so far). I'm pretty happy with the PQ in general. Do I wish the remastering could have been a little bit better? Sure! But the PQ on these are light years better than what I had and to FINALLY have every episode now, WOW! So final verdict: Is it perfect? No. But I'm still thrilled to have it. Looking forward to adding each season to my collection.

One nice surprise: In the episode "Dental Receptionist" form Season 1, guest starred Shirley Mitchell. I knew right away when I heard her southern belle accent. The same accent she used as Lela Ransom on The Great Gildersleeve radio show.
Wasn't Shirley Mitchell also in Bachelor Father? I believe she played Bentley Gregg's secretary starting in Season 2. Correct me if I'm wrong,

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Last night I wound up watching three or four episodes in a row, which I don’t think I’ve ever done before with this show. I usually do one a night, maybe two on a rare occasion, but the combination of having seen these episodes before plus the high quality compared to the PD versions I first saw plus the fact that it was just the right show for the mood I was in, had me pressing the play button again and again. I think I have seven or eight season 1 episodes left to go.

Ozzie has nice neighbors throughout all of the seasons I’ve watched to date but Thorny is easily my favorite and it’s a delight to see how he and Ozzie get into trouble together. That line he had in the video I posted a few days ago is still playing on a loop in my head. Especially because I found a new leak in my house.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Last night I wound up watching three or four episodes in a row, which I don’t think I’ve ever done before with this show. I usually do one a night, maybe two on a rare occasion, but the combination of having seen these episodes before plus the high quality compared to the PD versions I first saw plus the fact that it was just the right show for the mood I was in, had me pressing the play button again and again. I think I have seven or eight season 1 episodes left to go.

Ozzie has nice neighbors throughout all of the seasons I’ve watched to date but Thorny is easily my favorite and it’s a delight to see how he and Ozzie get into trouble together. That line he had in the video I posted a few days ago is still playing on a loop in my head. Especially because I found a new leak in my house.
He was the best of the neighbors although the others were also enjoyable - look at Hazel the whole show was the interaction between DeFore and Boothe = he was a great actor

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

Thorny was great.

DaveM4964

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Davey Meredith
I got a note from Amazon that my S3 & 4 delivery date was moved to August, and they’re charging more for those seasons (at least at this moment) than they did for S1 & S2. I then saw Bullmoose had them for $19.99 and they still anticipate shipping at release date. They offer free shipping for orders over $35 and don’t collect sales tax, and they are a small company I like to support when I can, so I switched my order there. I’m still in S1 so even if they did get delayed and arrive a couple weeks after street date I don’t think I’d be ready for them yet anyway.

The Pancake Mix is up next for me, which I fondly remember as one of the first ones I saw back in 2019 - I’ll be happy to revisit it.

Thanks for the tip! I just placed an order for seasons 3 and 4 at Bullmoose :)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin

I was in the grocery store one afternoon and I noticed a lady having trouble reaching something on the shelf. I am tall and so I asked if I could help her to which she replied "Thank you, yes." As I was giving her what she'd been reaching for...in my mind I knew I'd heard that voice before and I quickly realized she was in one of my favorite episodes of I Love Lucy* and I asked if that was her, to be sure, and she said, "Why, yes." I told her it was so nice to meet her, "You really perked up my day," I said. She was nice and it was a nice moment for me, too.

*I Love Lucy episode: "Lucy Tells the Truth" | Shirley Mitchell as Marion Strong.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Don Defore was born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. My home state.

1657784263330.png

1657784313350.png

Been enjoying the low-key gentle humor of the show.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob

I checked my Target order for 3&4 last night, and the DD still says by July 31, so I'm hopeful I'll receive them by then.
Haven't checked my DD @ DD for 5&6, but most likely it will still be at the end of September.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
As far as I remember, Ozzie could have been the first television character to use the word “Doh”, a reply that Homer Simpson later regularly employed.

S1/E1 - Ozzie and Don immediately after take 1 of their first on-camera interaction, realizing their novel idea to have Thorny always hidden by a picket fence (or some other prop), was gong to need some kind of fine-tuning;)

ponset's behind the scenes still.png

Great picture, thanks for sharing, ponset.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
A very good and perceptive review of the new S1 and 2 MPI sets, and the series overall, from Tim Lucas at his Video WatchBlog site.

Thanks for the link to the review, Jeff. I really enjoyed reading Tim's take on these releases. And I especially enjoyed his last long paragraph, where he easily dismantles that stupid, modern idea that the show was whitebread fantasy and not worth watching. He really hits the nail on the head here:

It [the show] acquired an unfair reputation from the counter-culture as a staid broadcasting tradition: a false, idealized depiction of American family life. Even a casual viewing of the show proves this to be untrue. The real abiding interest of THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIET comes, first of all, from its ingenious idea of having a real American family portray themselves in stories often inspired by their own personal experience; the interest deepens into magic realism and even surrealism in the episodes that focus on Ozzie's intermittent obsessions, which encompass such whimsies as the desire to have a reading room (the family's wish to indulge him unleashes psychological worries that they are starting to exclude him and that he's aging before his time), or to see what it's like to spend an entire day in bed, or to taste some good ol' Tutti Frutti ice cream again.

Tim Lucas is 100% correct. And I suspect that's why so many of us here love watching/rewatching this 70 year old show. It's just plain good.

Gary "Scott's comments in an early post above about the low-key gentle humor of the show is spot on as well - and it's why this series is like a soothing tonic for me" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks