What's new

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I hope there’s enough room to throw my defense lawyer mindset explanation of the missing ding out that same window, as I’ll bet the farm on your explanation.

Interesting about replacing some of the original scores with library tracks, were they changed for copyright reasons, or as an enhancement afterthought?
Watching Alfred Hitchcock Presents in the present day, I recall hearing four or so catchy little ditties that were also used in Leave It To Beaver, or vice versa.
The same background music was used in parts of Bachelor Father.

mark-edk

Second Unit
I hope there’s enough room to throw my defense lawyer mindset explanation of the missing ding out that same window, as I’ll bet the farm on your explanation.

Interesting about replacing some of the original scores with library tracks, were they changed for copyright reasons, or as an enhancement afterthought?
Watching Alfred Hitchcock Presents in the present day, I recall hearing four or so catchy little ditties that were also used in Leave It To Beaver, or vice versa.
I think the reason Ozzie replaced the original music is he considered the original music to be 'dated'. I think I read that somewhere, sometime or other. Also, when you're cutting things out to make the episodes shorter, the original music can get mangled in the process: another reason to replace it.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I wouldn't say they were authored incorrectly but authored to meet specific goals.

They were authored as anamorphic so that when filling a widescreen TV they actual maintain the original aspect ratio. There are no aspect ratio issues when implemented this way and viewed on a widescreen TV. Aspect ratio issues are more common and evident when authored non-anamorphic and viewers stretch the image horizontally to fill the screen. There will also be issues with bars on all sides when on viewed on 4:3 TV's (Lecagr's issue), but realistically how many viewers still use 4:3 screens.

It is true, being 4:3 content stored as anamorphic it has baked in bars left and right, which does reduce the amount of space available to store the content. However, it should gain some quality back in that there will be less compression of the content that is present due to the black bars on the side.

As Josh mentioned previously, these were likely created from new 16x9 HD masters, so there may have been some cost savings to maintaining the same format for the DVD's. You can call that cutting corners, but at the same time most never thought this would get a release.

Incorrect...a mistake...I don't think so. It was likely done to ensure the correct aspect ratio is maintained when viewed at the cost of some detail. It surprising how many times I see widescreen TV's incorrectly stretching 4:3 content because the players are not configured correctly. At least this approach corrects that issue. Unfortunately, for Lecagr this authoring approach doesn't support 4:3 TV's.
Well said. I would add that DVDs encoded in 16X9 with burned-in pillar-box bars has become much more of the norm due to the prevalence of 16X9 displays. In most cases DVD masters are simply down-converted from the HD masters which also have the black bars encoded. Yes there is a reduction in resolution, but maybe not as bad as one would think, as it depends how your player rescales the the 1.5 aspect ratio of DVD to either 1.78 or 1.33

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In one of the "Abbott & Costello Show" threads, I read that over time (At least into the 1970s), the syndicated prints had undergone some considerable audio "sweetening" with additional laugh track overdubs, over and above what had "originally" been added to the prints (They were filmed without a live audience) before their original broadcasts.

Over the decades, discerning what sounds are part of the original soundtrack can get rather muddy and muffled!

CHEERS! :)

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I just read that the early seasons of the show had quirky sound effects. I don't know if they were there originally or added in syndication.
However, Nelson would have probably had the separate audio elements to work with when the show went into syndication, making it easier to add things. I doubt the new restoration had any elements other than the composite optical track. Ozzie starts to speak right on the last sound of the ding. Those two audio pieces can't be taken out separately without having the original DME tracks.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

*movie clip is a screenshot from my phone and not intended as a representation of the set’s actual quality. It’s just that I’m currently renting an old house with its share of old house issues and boy did Thorny’s line hit close to home. I had to replay it three times I was laughing so hard.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Did you know that Basil "Buzz" Adlam wrote the theme "Highland Lament" for the NBC Radio Western series "The Six Shooter"starring James Stewart as Britt Ponset.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Did you know that Basil "Buzz" Adlam wrote the theme "Highland Lament" for the NBC Radio Western series "The Six Shooter"starring James Stewart as Britt Ponset.
Are you sure about that? I believe it was Charles Williams that composed "Highland Lament".

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Sam H Nelson

https://www.facebook.com/samhnelson...GUuwCECqZz7K8Yz_KQzOxiwH5Gxx4Uo&__tn__=,O,P-R
·

Official first batch of my homemade Tutti Fruitti Ice Cream!!! The real deal.
If you know, you know. Now I know!

1657221113878.png

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
You know, they just announced seasons 5 & 6 for DVD in September of this year - that's near HALF the series released.

Considering the release sked they are working on at the pass of releases, work had to have been done on these for some time before the releases.

What is disconcerting is it's been a handful of the best quality episodes they used are slightly edited repeats so Oz could tag on new performances by Ricky. (and pad out his order to ABC) I'd rather they coble together from lesser quality prints a complete episode, and use the performances as extras. I wonder how many of these exist uncut in their original form on the PD sets.

Reminds me of the situation with a handful of FATHER KNOWS BEST where there were episodes repurposed with flashbacks in later seasons, and at least a couple of those are the ones on the sets - not the originals.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yes, a minority of episodes within the sets are presented in their network repeat versions because in those cases those are the only elements that survive. It was standard practice in those days to recut the original negatives when preparing for a network reair because those negatives were not perceived to have any real value after the original airing. Aftermarket sales didn’t exist then so there was no market for unedited original episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruavain
Recent bookmarks