What's new

Press Release MPI Press Release: The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD) (1 Viewer)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

S02E18 The Camera (Jan.15.1954)-3.jpg S02E18 The Camera (Jan.15.1954)-5.jpg S02E18 The Camera (Jan.15.1954)-6.jpg S02E18 The Camera (Jan.15.1954)-7.jpg S02E18 The Camera (Jan.15.1954)-10.jpg S02E18 The Camera (Jan.15.1954)-11.jpg S02E18 The Camera (Jan.15.1954)-12.jpg S02E18 The Camera (Jan.15.1954)-13.jpg S02E18 The Camera (Jan.15.1954)-15.jpg

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Have watched a few episodes from season one so far, beginning with 1.1 "The Rivals" (nicely screencapped by Neal a.k.a The 1960's a few pages back). It was charming and delightful in this series' typical low-key, naturalistic way, with several moments and lines which made me laugh out loud. My favorite exchange was this one, between David and Ricky, as Ricky watches David spruce himself up in preparation for a visit from a cute classmate (Eilene Janssen):

Ricky (munching grapes): What the heck are you going to do?
David: What do you think I'm going to do?
Ricky: Looks like you're going to shave.
David: And that's exactly right, sonny boy.
Ricky:
Are you kidding? I've got more fuzz on these grapes.

Yes, there were a few video anomalies in this first episode, including some odd "warping" here and there, especially over the end credits, but they were nothing serious and never took me out of the story. Overall, the ep looked and sounded SOOOOOOO much better than the PD copies of the show that I've seen on YouTube.

Thanks to Bert Greene for pointing out Ms. Janssen's juvenile western film background. That was some interesting info which I wouldn't have guessed from her (nicely played) appearance here.

"The Poet" had a more stable image, and was also an enjoyable episode, with a brief appearance by Ellen Corby. I found the sight of Ozzie, flirting with pretentiousness, a pipe clenched in his mouth as he vainly tried to find the right keys on the typewriter, most amusing.

From my cursory spot check late last night, it seems like the transfers on S2 look even better. Very pleased with these releases so far. Great news that S5 and 6 are coming in September. At this rate, we might see more than half the series out before the end of the year!

Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
My Target order now says, 'backordered'. I'll patiently wait rather than cancel and re-order from DD.

Here's a couple of favorable reviews. Warning! Some psychobabble ahead.

hollywoodinhidef.com/2022/06/ozzie-harriet-rick-nelson-in-fine-form/

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
My Target order now says, 'backordered'. I'll patiently wait rather than cancel and re-order from DD.

Here's a couple of favorable reviews. Warning! Some psychobabble ahead.

hollywoodinhidef.com/2022/06/ozzie-harriet-rick-nelson-in-fine-form/
I read through the review. Interesting, but wondering if the reviewer really likes the show.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
The press release for the UCLA ,June 12, Ozzie and Harriet Anniversary Celebration, said the two episodes they screened were restored by MPI from 35mm elements held in the UCLA Film Archive.

What does the DVD case art say on the backs of S1 and S2?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The press release for the UCLA ,June 12, Ozzie and Harriet Anniversary Celebration, said the two episodes they screened were restored by MPI from 35mm elements held in the UCLA Film Archive.

haven't gotten the sets

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Bob the back of each Season set states exactly what is written here at MPI Home Video.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The entire library of The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet has been restored by MPI Media Group from the original 35mm picture and sound elements in association with the UCLA Film & Television Archive, which preserves the elements on behalf of the Nelson family.

The above quoted text is from the press release in the first post of this thread.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

It's not mentioned. Just shows the MPI logo and The Rick Nelson Company, LLC corporate logo (image of Ricky).

BUT - there *is* the region icon which indicates these are "All" regions - aka Region Free.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
I received S2 over a week ago, and got S1 today, and I am pleased with the video quality from both sets

The audio quality on the few episodes I played from S2 is better than the few that I played today from S1, which was OK for dialogue, but suffered somewhat from distortion, musically, during the opening and closing themes, as well as during the scene transitions, both from my 2019 MBP’s laptop’s speakers, and also via headphones, though certainly not a deal breaker.

I jumped ahead to ‘The Fish Story’, which is one of my favorite episodes, and I noticed that at the beginning, when Ozzie was trying to convince Thorny that he really didn’t catch the fish at Mud Basin, the little (crucial) audible sound of a small bell’s solitary ‘ding’ that coincided with the light bulb moment look on Oz’s face when he decides to string Thornberry along, was sadly missing, but on the other hand, the dream sequence was in tact, both visually and audibly, so I was happy.
In the future, I’ll just play foley artist, and just tap the outside of a champagne glass for the missing ‘ding’, if need be!

I’m scheduled to receive S3 & 4 at the end of July (which stinks, even on ice), but ordered 5 & 6 from DD earlier today (thanks to the tip from Gary OS), so it might ship closer to the actual release date, than 3 & 4 will.
I also got 10% off with the promo code PLUNGE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks