What's new

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

S01E29 Whistler's Daughter (Apr.17.1953)-1.jpg S01E29 Whistler's Daughter (Apr.17.1953)-3.jpg S01E29 Whistler's Daughter (Apr.17.1953)-11.jpg S01E29 Whistler's Daughter (Apr.17.1953)-14.jpg S01E29 Whistler's Daughter (Apr.17.1953)-20.jpg S01E29 Whistler's Daughter (Apr.17.1953)-21.jpg

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I've always assumed that older TV shows tended to skip holiday episodes so they could play in syndication without having, say, a Christmas episode play in April. Personally, I think the audience can handle the 'confusion' of something like that but I suppose it's possible that networks underestimated the audience's intelligence. :laugh:
Syndication in the 70's and 80's usually skipped Christmas episodes and sometimes showed them in December.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
I've always assumed that older TV shows tended to skip holiday episodes so they could play in syndication without having, say, a Christmas episode play in April. Personally, I think the audience can handle the 'confusion' of something like that but I suppose it's possible that networks underestimated the audience's intelligence. :laugh:

Even Me-TV wouldn't air the Christmas episode of 77 Sunset Strip in rotation!

SIDEBAR: For a decidedly different Christmas episode, with the theme of celebrating the spirit of Christmas every day, an interesting episode from The Joey Bishop Show (Season 1) titled Very Warm for Christmas, was first aired on February 21 of 1962. Why they didn't wait a couple weeks until March I don't know, but the story is: During a March heat wave, Joey's mother (Madge Blake) buys Santa and reindeer lawn Christmas decorations at a garage sale and has Joey reluctantly place the display in the front yard. She wishes the spirit of Christmas could be felt year-round. The neighborhood isn't pleased with all the attention Santa receives, so a grievance committee led by some neighbors takes her to court.

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I’m loving these sets. I’ve added both seasons to my Plex server for viewing. I’m almost done with season one and am very pleased with the PQ. I will definitely be buying the next round of sets. I’ve got my S3 & 4 preordered.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Amazon says that my S1 and S2 sets are "out for delivery," so they should be waiting for me when I get home from work today.
And they're here!!!

Haven't had a chance to watch anything yet, but I have to say that I'm not overly impressed with how Amazon US packed these to ship overseas. They were in a pretty soft cardboard mailer which obviously got a bit pummeled during the trip (Amazon Japan goes to the other extreme, wrapping the heck out of anything it ships).

While ostensibly the two sets were in good condition, once I opened them I found that they had suffered some mild damage. The inside bottom case of my S2 set was cracked (not on the outside, fortunately) and one of the clamps that keep the 4-disc holder in place (sorry, not up on my packaging nomenclature) was broken, which means the trays won't stay in place and as a result closing the case becomes a bit of a hassle. I also had a couple of floaters in my S1 set, though it appears the discs are OK and not seriously scratched. While I'm not exactly happy about the state of the S2 case, I don't have any plans at present to return either set, as long as the discs play fine.

*Edited to add* OK, checked all the discs in each set, sampling multiple episodes per disc, and they all play fine, and look and sound very good (considering the likely state of the source elements). Very happy with the content of the discs themselves, especially the obviously Herculean restoration job, as well as the frequent inclusion of commercials, sponsor openings, etc. The menus are cleanly designed and easy to navigate, and the addition of English subtitles is a welcome touch. Can't wait to dig into the show proper. (Gotta put the kid to bed first). I've only ever seen four episodes out of these two seasons, so have lots of new-to-me material to watch!

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
And they're here!!!

Haven't had a chance to watch anything yet, but I have to say that I'm not overly impressed with how Amazon US packed these to ship overseas. They were in a pretty soft cardboard mailer which obviously got a bit pummeled during the trip (Amazon Japan goes to the other extreme, wrapping the heck out of anything it ships).

While ostensibly the two sets were in good condition, once I opened them I found that they had suffered some mild damage. The inside bottom case of my S2 set was cracked (not on the outside, fortunately) and one of the clamps that keep the 4-disc holder in place (sorry, not up on my packaging nomenclature) was broken, which means the trays won't stay in place and as a result closing the case becomes a bit of a hassle. I also had a couple of floaters in my S1 set, though it appears the discs are OK and not seriously scratched. While I'm not exactly happy about the state of the S2 case, I don't have any plans at present to return either set, as long as the discs play fine.

*Edited to add* OK, checked all the discs in each set, sampling multiple episodes per disc, and they all play fine, and look and sound very good (considering the likely state of the source elements). Very happy with the content of the discs themselves, especially the obviously Herculean restoration job, as well as the frequent inclusion of commercials, sponsor openings, etc. The menus are cleanly designed and easy to navigate, and the addition of English subtitles is a welcome touch. Can't wait to dig into the show proper. (Gotta put the kid to bed first). I've only ever seen four episodes out of these two seasons, so have lots of new-to-me material to watch!
deepdiscount said to me the sets of O an H have sold pretty well proving there is demand for classics just need companies to release them 'Yes, they have sold pretty well'

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Season 2
Clips do not depict integral portions of storylines. Images are not modified.

S02E02 The Party (Sep.25.1953)
Stars Ozzie Nelson Harriet Nelson David Nelson Ricky Nelson Don DeFore Joan Shawlee Carl Greyson

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but the Bullmoose store are selling the Ozzie and harriet season sets at 19.97 ea. Seen season 1+ 2 were at my local bullmoose today . They have 3 and 4 up for preorder at the same price. Free shipping if you spend over 35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iguanaclerk
Recent bookmarks