MPEG2, MPEG 4, and WMV 9 DVD player in HD!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Harold Southard, May 6, 2004.

1. Harold Southard

Harold Southard Stunt Coordinator

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Thats always been a proposed alternative for HD-DVDs, its the so-called "red laser" format which uses current DVD discs with an MPEG4 codec to compress more than MPEG2. Most would prefer the larger storage space with "blue laser" media however regardless of the codec used. I doubt there will be much in the way of commercial titles produced for a non-standard format however - you will have to wait for whichever blue-laser HD-DVD format wins out in a few years for significant HD-DVD commercial titles to be produced in that format. Don't get stuck with a "beta" format HD-DVD by buying one too soon before the standards are finalized.

3. Harold Southard

Harold Southard Stunt Coordinator

Well, its a start. It would be nice to have until the other comes out. I know there is not much media for it, but more may be coming out if this player does well. I have one dvd in this formate, T2. I would love to see more. I do agree with you and was aware of the other formats but just thought this was a step forward and offered at least one more source for hd. (even if there is little media). A player that "does it ALL" would be nice. Even divx, I know there is one. From what I read the price might not be to bad. If they are cheap, say $150 or less or somewhere in there, buying a beta might not be that bad just for kicks.