MPEG sound question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Venee, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Venee

Venee Auditioning

First of all say hi to everybody.
    I'm new to the home cinema world, just bought my equipment, a Yamaha RX-V340.

The question is I have a lot of DVD's with MPEG sound, most of them home made transfering my old VHS's to DVD.

I can't hear those DVD's through my Yamaha device, is this normal?

2. Brent Smith

Brent Smith Agent

Hi Venee,

The MPEG audio is a digital format so unless you've got your DVD player connected via optical (or coaxial) audio cable and have the DVD player set to decode it (and the reciever set as well) then you won't be able to hear the audio. Possible other issues is that the audio was never recorded on the DVD in the first place as well. What program(s) and hardware did you use to get the VHS information into your computer so you could make DVD's from it?

Thanks,

Brent

3. Venee

Venee Auditioning

Thanks for your quick reply, Brent.
    The audio is there, I can hear it through the TV or my old stereo equipment.
    What I've done is to connect RCA's from the stereo output of the DVD player to the auxiliar input of the Yamaha RX-V340.
    What I'd like is to play those DVD's without switching from DVD to Auxilar input.
    I listen to the other DVD's though a coaxial cable with no problem.

4. Brent Smith

Brent Smith Agent

Hi Venee,

It looks like the audio was encoded in such a way that it not activating the DVD's digital output (it's somehow being read as "analog" mixdown) so only thing I can offer is to see if you can re-encode both the video and audio in a format that keeps everything in the digital domain. I haven't played with converting VHS to DVD yet but you need to find a way to "bridge" the VHS player to your computer in such a fashion that both video and audio stay in DVD acceptable digital "format" (my DV camcorder has such a function, but there are devices that do same thing as well)

I hope I given you more information as to what might be possible cause behind audio glitch.

Thanks,

Brent

5. sridhar

sridhar Auditioning

Hi Venee,

You should preferably connect the RCA's from the stereo (left & right) output to the AUDIO/DVD Right & Left input jacks on the Receiver.

This would allow you to keep the receiver selected for DVD and hear the audio on the speakers connected (to receiver).

6. Brent Smith

Brent Smith Agent

Hi Venee (& sridhar),

That will only work if your DVD player passes through analog audio (i.e. a signal) through the RCA jacks at the same time, most DVD players I've seen make you do a switch in a setup menu, or if it does then the receiver won't accept both (unless it newer self-switcher, based on which input the signal is passing through). I hope this make it workable for you?

Brent