What's new

MPEG file encoded length? (1 Viewer)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I've been playing around with MPEG video files that I've found around the Web in various places and trying my hand at making VCD's. I've been successful with that so far but I've run across at least two of these files that are longer than their encoded length.

As an example, an MPEG that I open in Windows Media Player will show that its 1:00 minute long and actually play for 2 or 3 minutes. Is there any reason for this? Can this be fixed?

Thanks.

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
What version of Media Player are you running? On which OS? I'm running 6.4 on Win2k SP2, and I sometimes get the same problem. Not only with MPEG video, I've also seen it underestimate .AVI and QT movies. Kind of a pain in the ass, sometimes.

Cheers,

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Actually, I'm not sure. I currently am running Windows XP Home Edition which I recently upgraded to from ME. I imagine it's the version of Media Player that comes with XP. I'd check it but I'm at work at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks