MPEG decoding and de-interlacing? What is the order?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Which process takes place first? MPEG decoding or de-interlacing? I have an idea but I'm asking here anyways. I'm just wondering about how to come up with a way to ZOOM in on 4:3 widescreen material from LD, VHS (and to a lesser extent, non-anamoprhic DVD's). Do you take a 480p signal from a line doubler and use an HTPC to ZOOM in and squeeze the 4:3 widescreen? My DVD player right now is interlaced but I'll be getting an iScan for use with an AE100 or 200 projector.

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

The MPEG decoding comes first.
    DVD is a 480p[though not all disc authored that way] format but most player interlace the signal, then de-interlace it again.I think JVCs are among the few players that bypass the interlacing on DVD's that's originally 480p.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

OK, so the frames/fields are MPEG decoded first. Actually, DVD is recorded on the disc in interlaced fields, thats why the DVD player has to de-interlace the video. Proof of this is the fact that DVD's have flags for progressive scan players. So if I wanted to do some squeezing/zooming, it'd have to be after the whole thing is converted to 480p.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Chris,

See my posts in your related thread in HTPC.

Yes and no- I'm still unclear on this, but it seems from the technical authoring people I have spoken with that video can be encoded progressive with flags for interlacing as easily as it can be interlaced with flags for progressive.

-Vince

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Right. Thing is, I still don't know about squeezing horizontal and zooming 4:3 letterbox, basically non-anamorphic DVD. I know HTPC's put out 480p but I am talking about non-anamorphic, be dvd, ld or vhs widescreen. Thanks for the info. I'll check out your reply in HTPC. I almost forgot I posted the question there.
    [​IMG]