MPEG decoder in Pan. RA-60?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom-DC, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Tom-DC

Tom-DC Auditioning

Hi. First post - I am sneaking out from the audio forums to learn about video for my first DVD player purchase. I have done searches here and AVS forum, and I have learned a lot in a short time. How did people live before mess. boards?

Anyway, I think that I want to find a Pansonic DVD-RA60 (discontinued, I know). Does this have the "GOOD" MPEG decoder found in the RP82 and CP72, or the "Lesser" decoder found in the RP62 and RV56?

Not that I understand what the decoder does, but I know people are saying that the RP82 and CP72 have a better picture (including interlaced?) than the RP62 because of the decoder. I'm thinking that since the RA-60, RP82 and CP72 have DTS surround decoding, that maybe this means they have the same MPEG decoder. True/False??

Also, does the RA-60 have the "remaster" function? I see that the RP82 has this, but the CP72 does not. Another famous Panasonic website inaccuracy??

Thanks for any help,
    Tom

2. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

According to the Panasonic parts web page, the RA60 has the MN677531KA which is......(drum roll)......the better MPEG decoder.

3. Tom-DC

Tom-DC Auditioning

Thanks Craig! Wow! Now I know my perfect DVD player! (no need for prog. at the moment.) Wasn't expecting that. I think I can get a hold of one (silver only unfortunately). Now hopefully the GF can live with the silver...

Why did they discontinue this model? How many people actually have Hi-Def TV's at the moment? Are people brainwashed into thinking that Prog. Scan does anything for a regular TV? Well, maybe if you can get the Foroujda(???) chip in a sub-200 player then why make interlaced only, but it seems they could still make them cheaper, or add goodies like DVD-A instead for the same price as a prog. scan player without DVD-A.

4. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Tom,

Progressive scan is cheap anymore. My CP72 cost just a little over $200 locally with the $30 rebate. I agree its useless right now for most but its nice knowing that Faroudja technology is in there if I go to capable set in the near future.

I agree though that if your player has the high quality MPEG decoder and you have no need currently for prog scan there is no reason to upgrade.

take care