mpeg-4

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by lee ison, Oct 18, 2005.

1. lee ison

lee ison Stunt Coordinator

I've seen an awful lot of direct tv/hd tuners for sale lately, and was wondering if these are going to be rendered useless when direct tv switches to mpeg-4 decoding, maybe someone could clarify this for me or dirct me to athread that explains it.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    When D* starts broadcasting local HD in MPEG4 later this year, your old HD receiver will not stop working even if you live in one of the first DMA's. They are going to keep the CONUS national HD feeds up and running until the majority of the HD receivers have been swapped out. That could be a year or two. If you already get your local HD via OTA, then there's no reason to upgrade to a MPEG4 receiver.

To speed the process along, they may add new HD channels that are available only to people who upgrade. I'll bet they do that with the Sunday Ticket next year.

Finally, if you have an HD receiver already, D* won't leave you stranded. They will upgrade you for free or a small fee. Nothing is official yet but in the past they have NEVER made people pay for a required hardware upgrade.

-Robert

3. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

And in case you were wondering why all those HD tuners are for sale, it is not because everyone is trying to dump them because of the mpeg4 switch. It is because D* dropped the price of the hdtivo from $550 to net of rebate and credits $200 or less. All those boxes are from the people who swapped them for HD tivos. The price on the tivo is back up.

4. lee ison

lee ison Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the info fellas I feel updated. (lol)

5. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

What picture improvements (if any) can I expect from switching to the new mpeg 4 box?

6. Charlie Campisi

None. With the caveat that if the additional available bandwidth allows D* to start broadcasting HD in a less compressed format, everyone's HD ought to get better, not just the Mpeg4 boxes. Not to mention, that at least initially, MPEG4 will only be used for the locals. If you are getting your locals with an antenna, you're already getting the best pq there is.

7. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I am, so it sounds like there's no reason for me to upgrade, right?

8. Charlie Campisi

That's right. Until directv starts putting programming exclusively on mpeg4 encoded channels that you want, there is no reason to change. There also may be reasons to not change -- like you don't want to leave tivo which is very likely to not be available on an mpeg4 capable dvr.

9. CraigO

CraigO Auditioning

Do you know if Dish Network is also going to have to make a similar mpeg4 switch?

Are any of the current Direct tv hardware supporting mpeg4 yet?

10. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Yes and yes.

-Robert

11. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

Ok, so I keep reading posts saying the D* directivo boxes can be had for $200, but all i can find is $599 -$100 for first and $599 for second. Where are the deals? Is it over & I missed the bus? I want Tivo, so this may be the box I want???

P.S. My Dish 921 ticked me off for the last time and it is now gone.

12. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    There were some deals a few months ago. D* was selling them to existing customers for $299-$100 rebate. I got mine the month before for $699-50% off Tivo coupon at Best Buy - $250 in programming credits for a net cost of $100. Unfortunately, these deals were for existing customers only. The more you spent a month, the better the deal.

Try Value Electronics. They have very competetive prices and excellent customer service.

-Robert