What's new

MPAA - Time to Retire the G Rating (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ScottHM said:
While I prefer to see movies I want, and don't care about what some director wants.

---------------
Mis-guided in so many ways.

Or do you miss the point that directors make the movies you see?

Anyway...fall back.

Long ago when the "whatever it was" Jason installment hit the big screen...

I took my nephew. He was 8. I saw the movie beforehand and knew when there would be "boob"(this particular installment had very little...not like Jason movies have a lot anyway).

Asked my brother and he just said..."cover his eyes". I actually told him to cover his own.

But I come from a hippie family(hairy armpits and all) and if he'd been 10...no problem(on our end). He complied cause he knew he was getting whatever ice cream he wanted after the movie.

Why a Jason movie?

Cause we(as in our family) are in touch with the food supply. We've seen deer being born. We've killed them...we've cleaned and eaten them.

What is a boob?

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
schan1269 said:
Mis-guided in so many ways.

Or do you miss the point that directors make the movies you see?
I'm mis-guided because I like what I decide to like rather than what someone else tells me I should like? Movie directors direct movies, not my life.

---------------

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ScottHM said:
I'm mis-guided because I like what I decide to like rather than what someone else tells me I should like?
That isn't even close to the point I was making. A director(besides the paycheck) has to like what he is doing...to make the movie for you to decide to see it.

Ergo...they decided you would like to see it.

Movie directors direct movies, not my life.
I would hope so...unless your last name is Truman.

---------------

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
mattCR said:
I've got to say the above nails it. It's why I love Alamo Drafthouse. Firm rules that they actually follow.
I've heard about that place, would love to check it out. There had been rumors for a while that the company that owns Alamo Drafthouse was going to expand to NYC, but it seems that's been dropped.

There's an independent theater in Brooklyn that seems like it would be good for not having all of these things, but it only shows art house films (and you have to buy a meal and/or drinks there, so it ends up being $40+ a person), plus it's way out of my way, so I've never made it down there. Nothing against art house films either, but it would be nice to see a blockbuster with an attentive audience as well as indie films.

To a certain extent, at the one IMAX theater in NYC that does reserved seating, that seems to have cut down on the stupidity at shows. When you have to decide in advance where you want to sit and actually make a plan to go out, that seems to cut down on people walking in ten minutes late, bringing small children that don't belong there, talking during the movie. Not entirely, of course, but noticably. (I haven't noticed the same at the other IMAX theaters that don't have reserved seating, so I think it's more a function of being locked into a certain seat and having to plan ahead than it is the premium surcharge.)

I've also noticed this kind of rampant "my right to talk on my phone/text/bring little kids to late shows whenever I want trumps all" disregard for common courtesy all over the place, be it live theatre, concerts, movies. I don't understand paying the prices that all of these things charge these days, and then going and not paying attention. Do we really need to bring back ettitiquette classes? Why can't ushers, ticket takers, etc., enforce their own rules?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The rationale for some parents bringing kids to a late show, whatever the rating, is that the kids will fall asleep and they won't have to pay for a babysitter. Or so they've told me when I've asked. Not what I've ever done it, or condone it, but there it is.

RabbitMan3000

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
"What is a boob?"

Most members of the MPAA qualify.

Fact of the matter is that the MPAA is primarily concerned with keeping certain groups happy with their ratings while continuing to lobby for more stringent copy protection and anti-file sharing laws.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I'm not sure we could go back to not having a rating system for movies (I wouldn't be surprised if one eventually evolves for web content), but I do think the current one needs a radical overhaul.

However, no matter what happens, people's perception of any rating system is going to get skewed over time, because different things offend different people, and people raise their children in different ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks