Mp3's and internet radio --> home audio system?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jahan, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Jahan

Jahan Auditioning

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm wiring my new home for a whole-house distributed audio system, and as one of the sources, I'd like to have something that can access my computer and the internet wia an ethernet cable to play my MP3's and stream internet radio. Key features I'm looking for are:

Reliable streaming of internet radio
    Manage files and playlists primarily on my computer
    No need to load or transfer files to the unit, it reads directly from my computer
    IR remote to integrate with my multi zone system

I've found these units that seem to have what I'm looking for, does anyone have any experience with them or other similar units?

Onmifi DMS1
    Onkyo NC-500
    Netgear MP101

(I tried to post links to them, but since I'm a newbie, it wouldn't let me)

Thanks in advance!
  2. Ivan P

Ivan P Stunt Coordinator

Apr 4, 2004
    Netgear can't stream video, but there are Pinnacle which lack of "G" wireless and totally new D-link both of them can be wired or wireless connected to your pc.

I my self looking for good one, pinnacle can be found for a little to mid. $200 D-link is $199 direcly or around $160-$170 online
  3. MeghanA

MeghanA Extra

Apr 12, 2004
    I use a Turtle Beach Audiotron for this purpose. I've had it for more than a year, and I'm VERY attached to it. I don't use the streaming radio, but it has that capability. And once I figured out that it required the mp3s in a specifically named directory on the computer, it was very easy to set up. I can create playlists in any software I want to use that saves them in m3u format. I can manage the player from the front panel or Internet Explorer, and I do all my file management on the computer. Can't remember if the remote is IR or not, but I just taught the commands to my universal remote, and that works wonderfully. I think it ran me around $200, I got a deal on it by finding a "first time customer" coupon for and ordering with that.