MP3/WMA creation tips?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Philip Hamm, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I got a little tiny hardware MP3 player for camping trips. This thing will be played through 3" tall micro-speakers so fidelity has little importance, though the lowest bitrate possible may be a bit much.

I'm looking for tips as to how to best optimize space for my MP3s. I've got a 256mb SD card and 128mb built in to work with. The machine is a Philips SA235, it plays WMAs and MP3s. I haven't gotten it yet, it's in the mail.

Tool recommendations would be welcome also. Right now I'm using CDEx to make MP3s. The WMAs I've made from CDEx have been unusable.

I want small file sizes with the best fidelity I can get for the tiny size.

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Too bad it doesn't play OGG, people generally claim small OGG files sound sweet compared to WMA and MP3. I generally encode at high bitrates so I get high enough quality to use anywhere including my "serious" sound systems...

As much as I abhor saying it [​IMG] WMA is reportedly producing better sound at low bitrates. I'm not too fond of it though since it is an entirely proprietary format.

Personally, however, I'd use a combination of Exact Audio Copy and the LAME MP3 encoder and see what you can come up with.

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    How about MediaPlayer for encoding WMAs? Microsoft tool for Microsoft format? I use it at work for ripping my CDs into VBR WMA, and it's fast and simple.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Just do WMA, not going over 128kbps vbr.

If the WMA files still don't work take Kimmo's advice and use EAC + LAME at the same bitrate.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'll have to look into that. I've never created files in Media Player.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

For low (128K or less) bit rates, I agree that WMA is probably your best bet, since you need to conserve storage space. If you end up getting a higher capacity MP3 player later, though, MP3's encoded with EAC and LAME at 192K VBR or higher will offer the best combination of compatibility and sound quality. That is how I have everything encoded for my 40GB iPod.

7. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

do a google search for a program called Db power amp its freeware but extremely good at converting all file types and has a ton of plugins available.