1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

MP3 Tools & Utilities

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Camp, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

What do you guys use to tag and organize your MP3s? I've been manually tagging them because I have yet to find an intuitive program that reliably works.

Also, what other utilities do you use for you MP3 collection? Playlist editors? I don't even know what else is out there.

2. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Camp, I was thinking of the exact same thing earlier tonight. I'm needing something that will write to the ID3 tag of all my MP3s at the same time.

As far as utilities, I only use Winamp and create playlists (m3u and html) with it and use WinLame for encoding.

As far as organization, my directory structure is Letter(A-Z)/Artist/Album/Track name&number.mp3 - seems a bit extreme in some cases, but it's been the best way to keep up with them all.

I just wanted to add my name to the "requesting info" list - what utilities/tools are out there that make it a bit easier to keep up/maintain your mp3s?

3. ChrisLee

ChrisLee Stunt Coordinator

encspot - tells you the condition of your mp3

mp3 tag studio - for all your id3 editing and renaming needs.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

It's probably not the best, but I came across some freeware called "TagScan" version4.5 off Download.com when I went looking for a MP3/ID3 tag program.

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I'd also like to know (and perhaps this should be another thread) how you guys organize your MP3s.

Folder for the genre?

Folder for each artist?

Folder for the artist and the album?

Folder for the genre, artist & album?

Chronological order of some type?

No folders...all MP3s just loose in a main folder?

I currently have my 3000 MP3s loose in a "My Music" folder. I think it's time for a bit of organization. Perhaps there's a utility out there that will create the subfolders for me??

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I use just "Artist-Album Name" for each folder, no genre because it's not important to me.

7. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

iTunes does EVERYTHING. Catalogs, ID tags, rips, searches, CDDB, and burns CDs.
    I was skeptical at first but I must say it is truly a great product -- and free.
    Need a Mac though. [​IMG]

8. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I do have a Mac and iTunes is fantastic...but my MP3 server is a PC. Perhaps a PC developer just needs to copy iTunes.

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I tried using the tag facilities in EAC/Lame but found them very limited, cumbersome and well... crap. I've yet to find a fully automatic tag generator which does exactly what I want.
    This is how I do mine...
    Rip from CD using EAC, using naming convention of ArtistCD TitleTrack No_Track Title
    Once ripped, the .wav files are encoded into MP3 with RazorLame. This results in the .mp3 files having the same naming convention as above.
    Use TagScanner to generate the ID3 tags based, using the '_' character as a delimiter. Track number, track title, CD title and Artist all all picked up and put in place.
    I then send the folder to WinAmp and go through the tags manually. If any of the tag fields doesn't fit into the 31 characters allowed by ID3, I add ID3v2 for that track.
    I then use a utility called PowerRename to rename all of the .mp3 files, getting rid of the '_' character.
    Finally, I create an album playlist using a little app which creates the .m3u file using a Shell Extension to Windows Explorer.
    That sounds like a fair bit of work, but in practice it's hardly any time at all. Works for me.

10. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Update: There's a newer version of TagScanner available that allows the use of ID3v2 tags and gives more options in other areas. Not had time to play with it yet, but it looks pretty nice. The ID3v2 addition means there'll be less steps for me to go through.
    http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...6.html?tag=upd

11. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

I now use EAC too, but set it to encode directly to MP3 using LAME on a VBR (rather than the two step process).

I store them:-

ArtistAlbumtrack# - trackname.mp3

Haven't yet found a good tag util (will try the one Rob mentions), or a way to mass rename files.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Rob, I was wondering why you going through so many other steps until I realized you weren't using the latest Tagscanner 4.52 which does streamline a lot of those functions for you. [​IMG] That program was a godsend for me and MP3 madness.

13. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Is there a prog that will move your MP3s to different folders according to the tag?

I've got a lot of older MP3s sitting in one big folder. I want to move them to folders based on artist and album.

Tag scanner will only rename the file, but doesn't seem to let you move to another folder in one batch.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

How did we become this lazy? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]