MP3 Ripping Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottH, Aug 27, 2002.

1. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Okay, here is what I'm trying to do...I want to rip a CD that is theoretically divided into several tracks, but in reality the tracks are all intertwined as one (think - concept album). So I don't want to rip the CD the "standard" way (track by track), because there will be a gap in between each "track". I tried ripping the tracks individually, and then merging them together first with DOS, then by some shareware program I found on the web, both both resulted in a very slight half-second pause in between each track. Is there a way to just rip an entire CD as one track? I use AudioGrabber for all my ripping, and I couldn't find a way to do it. I can't imagine there is no way of doing this. I appreciate any feedback!

2. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

I use Roxio easy cd creator. There is a checkbox that says "disk at once" when in the record cd screen. This does exactly what you need.

3. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    Right, disc-at-once is what you want. Also, you don't really need to rip it to your HD first, just use the CD Copier in Roxio (or similar in whatever burning software you use) to make a digital copy of your disc.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You don't need to put it to MP3, unless MP3 was the desired result... Can you do disc-at-once to MP3? I need to do this for a friend's wedding music, from 3 or 4 CDs (some blended, some not), and I've never tried to do it with tracks like that. I have about 2 CDs worth if I go CD to CD, and it would be nice to put all of it onto one via MP3.

5. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Yes, I want to rip to MP3...disc at once will not work...I've tried it. Someone in another forum mentioned marking the last track (in AudioGrabber) to begin at 0:00 as a workaround. I will try that and let you know how it works out.

6. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

you can use ExactAudioCopy to rip it and use it to make a cue sheet

7. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

Scott, Not sure what you're trying to copy, but here's something that may help. About a year ago, I wanted to rip all of my commercial dts cds to make copies to play in my truck. (Yes, I have a 5.1 dts system in my pickup). I didn't want to use the originals as they tend to get scuffed over time. Regardless of the software I tried(EZ-CD, Exact Audio, etc.) all left a slight gap at the track markers when burning back to a blank cd-r. This occured whether I used disc-at-once or not. I contacted a few of the audio software makers and was told that this was happening due to the way a dts stream is encoded as a single unbroken track. Normal ripping/burning software doesn't understand a single track with multiple track markers, so they try to break into individual tracks when burning. This would cause audible gaps in the dts stream during playback. This was really noticible when playing a track that fades into the following one. The only company that had a solution for it was Sonic Foundry. Their older versions of Sound Forge have a cd mastering module built in called CD Architect. With it you can do what you're attempting. You can even move the track markers if you so desire. The only problem is that they've now discontinued it in Sound Forge. It's now available in the newer version of Vegas Video/Vegas Audio. Hope some of this helps.

8. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

I also use Exact Audio Copy. Specifically, the "Copy Range" feature; you select a start time and an end time and it rips continuously...

9. Andrew Santos

Andrew Santos Stunt Coordinator

you can do the same with cdex. just search for it on google and download it. once you load a cd and everything, select all the tracks, right click, and press the extract partial option. should be self explanatory from there.

10. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I agree with Andrew's recommendation of CDex. You can probably do the same with Exact Audio Copy, which is a fantastic program, but not as user-friendly.

With CDex, just put the CD in, go to the "Convert: menu and select "Extract Partial CD Track" (or the easy way is to hit the F10 key). A dialogue box comes up, which starts with the first track of the CD. Use the drop-down menu to have the extraction stop at the end of the last track, click MP3 and go.

11. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I use astarte cd-copy. When ripping tracked sequed songs, or a concert, where there is no gap, can use Astarte CD-Copy select all the consecutive tracks that I want, and it will convert to SD2 or AIFF all the tracks into one big track. I then use my ripper to convert it to MP3. I did this when I want to make an MP3 set of Abbey Road and wanted no delays in the medley songs.

I convert songs on a Mac however, so I'm not sure if this application is available on the PC.

12. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    EASY CD CREATOR 4 has an option to rip tracks and make them into 1 track. When extracting, look for this option. From there, convert to mp3.