MP3 Question

Discussion in 'Music' started by Matthew Brown, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

I generally don't care for MP3's but I was considering making mix CD's for a party. Of course, a CD filled with MP3's would hold a lot more and I won't be changing CD's as often. The five disc changer doesn't last that long depending on which CD's I have in it.

If I use a high sampling rate when I make the MP3's, will it be very noticable on an average setup? By average I mean low to mid range equipment. Old speakers, etc.

All MP3's would be from my cd collection. I never download them. I would be able to control the sampling rate.

Thanks! If the quality compromise isn't worth saving the space I'll stick to wavs.

2. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

3. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

At 320b you will still be able to fit more than three hours of music on to one CD-R and at that bit rate it will still sound fairly good...considering.

4. Michael St. Clair

As far as parties go, I'd say MP3 at 192kbps is plenty. Not for critical listening, of course, but fine for parties, where much will vie for your attention at the same time the music is playing (unless your party sucks or it is a listening 'party').

5. Matthew Brown

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.

I broght up the question because I once went to relatives party and the music was loud and just sounded plain horrible. He later said he DOWNLOADED everything on cd.

I guess that most people that download MP3's aren't picky about quality!

Thanks again,
    Matt

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

If you stick with a 192 bitrate I personally would suggest (if your player is capable) using WMA instead of MP3 because to my ears it handles the higher tones (such as voice, cymbals etc.) much better than MP3 which can sound brittle and harsh even at higher bitrates.

7. Michael St. Clair

At my parties there is far too much talking and laughing to analyze cymbal harshness. [​IMG]

He also didn't say what kind of music. I'd definitely use a higher minimum bitrate for jazz than techno, for example.

Acoustic music does have more noticable artifacting at the lower rates, that is for sure.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i just downloaded approximately...heck...i dunno....150 of my cd's to my music server - which i got for free! [​IMG]

i struggled for a while between 160 vs. 192. after creating some tests, i decided space was more important than quality. the sound may have been better on 192, but considering the purpose of the music server, i wasn't too worried.

if i ever wanted to critically listen, i would just bust out the cd. so, i figure when using mp3's...it's not about the quality.

i would definitely say 160 is a min. 128 still sounds kinda funky.

mp3's for parties are a great idea. i created a playlist with about 500 songs. i think it came to something like 39 hours...heh!

9. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

I tried burning a cdr of mp3's using Nero and I couldn't get past the 80 min mark, using 192kbs. I've also tried burning the same disc with Roxio and I had the same problem.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

isn't 80-min the max a cd-r can hold?

11. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

Well I'm still new to the whole mp3 thing,( I don't have access to high speed in my area) but what is most amount of songs can you burn onto an 80 min cdr via mp3?

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

it's not really a matter of the number of songs. you have to think in terms of the size of the files. the higher the bitrate of the mp3 file, the bigger the file size.

i'm not sure, but i know i've put quite a few mp3's on a cd. i'm thinking around 100+ at 128k.

anyone remember the capacity of an 80-min cd-r? i know a 74-min is about 650mb.

13. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

700 mb. (=80min)
    650 mb = 72 min

Luis, are you making Audio cds? or Data cd's containing mp3s? There is a very big difference. If you burn audio cds, the mp3's are upconverted to wav files (but not better sound quality) and only 80 min of music can fit. If you burn them as mp3 files on a data cd, a mp3 recognizing cd player will play them. It's a good idea to number them in the order you want since a lot of cd players that play mp3s will play them in alphabetical order.

14. Michael St. Clair

Always use variable bitrate when encoding your own MP3s. VBR at 192kbps sounds much better than CBR at 192kpbs. There's a reason that DVDs use VBR for video, it makes a huge difference!

15. John Wes

John Wes Stunt Coordinator

16. Andy Hardin

Andy Hardin Stunt Coordinator

Luis

Burn that CD as a DATA CD, Not a MUSIC CD.

Nero is automatically converting those mp3's to a .wav (native compact disc) file, that you could play in any CD player.

Back in the day (like a few years ago!) to create a music CD from .mp3's, you had to use a utility to convert mp3's to .wav, and then burn the .wav's as a music file. Newer versions of CD burning software automatically convert those .mp3's into wav format while you burn.

So make sure that you are chosing to create a Data CD. that is what your mp3 player device wants to see.

17. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

As far as MP3's, I have no problems with 128k. I listen to them in my car...I know that higher quality would be better, but considering all the street noise, I'm fine with the qulaity to quantity ratio that I get at 128.

The big thing to consider is also how people are compressing those MP3's. A lot of people have HORRIBLY compressed MP3's and I can find 128k versions that sound BETTER than 320k.

As long as you do them yourself and get decent software to do it with, why not go with 128? You'll get a lot more - and (as others have said) the music will be more background noise for the party and won't require high qulaity/5.1 sound [​IMG]

To be safe, do them at 160k/sec. That seems to be a good number if you're not trying to listen to every nuance of the song in a quiet room. As long as you don't go under 128, you're cool.

Again, done properly, most will never notice that you are playing 128k MP3's and not CD's.

18. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

19. Matthew Brown

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions! 140 songs at 192KB/s on one CD and I may put more. I have almost 200 more megs to fill up if I want. 99.9% of the songs are from CD's.

I was concerned about the quality because the majority of the songs are Punk and they sometimes don't have the best production to begin with. The rest of the songs are Ska.

One final question. Is there a way to keep songs that were recorded at higher levels from spiking? I already noticed that it's pretty inconsistant as far as levels. Some songs are very low compared to others. I am using Nero to burn the CD with the MP3's so I don't know if there is an option to normalize the levels.

Thanks!

20. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

Most mp3 rippers will normalize the mp3 tracks as it's ripping them from the cd, if you tell it to do it. It is a setting that usually is turned off until you want it. Look around your ripping software and see if it is there.