mp3 problems with mp3 capable dvd player..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by peter a, Jul 26, 2002.

1. peter a

peter a Stunt Coordinator

i recently purchased a toshiba dvd player which allows me to play mp3s. however, when i listen to the mp3s on my stereo (playing through the dvd player) - i hear weird popping sounds on a great number of songs. it almost sounds like a scratch on a turntable... its very odd... i dont know if it has to do with the built in mp3 decoder on the dvd player requiring the songs to be in a certain format or what... anyone experience this before or know what's going on? thanks-
    peter

2. peter a

sorry-
    wrote my med school concerns in the HTF FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i think i've gone crazy

3. Brian D Scott

Brian D Scott Stunt Coordinator

I have the Panasonic RP82 and I haven't had any problems. What program are you using to create your CDs with? I use MUSICMATCH to rip mine and haven't had problems. Hope this helps.

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

My Panasonic CV51 DVD player has no problems with MP3's. Your MP3's may have been encoded poorly.

5. peter a

the mp3s are all ones i have downloaded.. they sound fine when i play them on my computer, or when i convert them to burn onto a cd. however, when i play them in the dvd player, i hear some strange sounds... i may just try replacing the dvd player- maybe it is jacked.
    p

6. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

I have heard some funny sounds (like speeded up or a pop) when playing a mp3 cd that I ripped from a cd and played on my Sony portable cd/mp3 capable player. It played fine on my pc too, usually it would be the first couple seconds on a song.

7. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Are you sure the songs have been ripped properly? Improper digital audio extraction will lead to pops and cracks. Indeed, a few CD-ROM drives out there are simply incapable of producing error-free DAE. These errors may not be noticeable on low end computer speakers, but are often painfully obvious on a reasonable quality stereo system.

Besides the legal issues, this is another reason why it's best to buy the CD and rip the songs yourself with good quality hardware. You'll find on the net several sites with lists of drives that do good DAE.

Try ripping some of your own MP3z and see if you get the same results.

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

What model Toshiba is it? I've got a disc mixed with stuff either downloaded or ripped myself. I had some minor problems with certain tracks on the SD2800. The SD3750/4700/5700 plays everything perfectly, but it has the annoying habit of pausing during random playback after certain tracks. The Panasonic RV32 has a fair number of problems with this disc, as did the RP56 and even RP91. The RP62, however, is flawless and easily my favourite of the bunch and I assume the RP82/CP67/CP72 are all just as good.