MP3 Player

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Bob_M, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,

I bought my first MP# player for my daughter. It's a RCA Lyra 1080. So doing the legal thing I bought into Napster and downloaded a few tracks. I copied them to the device and they won't play. It seems there is copy protection on the WMA files and RCA does not have any upgrade to this unit.

Can someone please give me some pointers. Why is there copy protection on tracks I purchased? Why do some of RCA models play the files and others (like mine) do not?

If this one goes back to the store does anyone have a suggestion of a player that will not have these problems.

Thanks Bob

2. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    Bob, there's probably a better, more specific, answer to your question.; but in general all the music providers slap some sort of proprietary format or protection scheme onto their songs. The most straightforward (though maybe not the easiest/quickest) solution is to burn a CD and then rip the songs off the CD as mp3 - almost all players handle mp3 and the protection is removed in the CD creation process. If Napster doesn't let you create a CD, then cancel it.

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Any of the Creative Nomad Jukebox players (except perhaps the Zen Touch). I've had my NJB3 for a little less than a year and I'm loving it!

Haven't really dealt with any of the online services-all of my music is ripped directly from my CD collection.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, songs bought from legal sites are DRM copy protected, only work with players that support the feature, unfortunately

5. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

Thanks all for the reply,

>maybe not the easiest/quickest) solution is to burn a CD and then rip the songs off the CD as mp3 - almost <

What is the software that is must common here? Is there a pkzip of the CD burining/ripping world.

Bob

6. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

pkzip? my my your dating yourself with that comment [​IMG].

theres a few routes you can take.

my personal reccomendation is to get dbpoweramp so that you can just right click on a track and convert it.
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

You can download a dedicated ripper like ez cdda:
    http://www.poikosoft.com/

or you can mess with windows media player and use that.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Incredible, isn't it? Getting legally downloaded music to work is a pain in the posterior while downloading music you haven't paid for is much much easier.

Then they wonder why people don't all give up on the other filesharing method and buy all their music...

Personally I think it's easier to just get the music on CD and rip it and convert it to MP3 form using Exact Audio Copy. Superb quality encoding and no copy protection on the resulting MP3 files.