What's new

MP3 Player recommendations for Palm OS PDA? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm using my Zire 72 PDA as my MP3 player for the time being, but I'd like to find a better MP3 player than the default RealOne v1.1 that came with it. Any suggestions?

I've tried downloading the latest RealOne player v1.6 but I can't find a method that doesn't require a credit card number, and that's unacceptable.

Beyond that, the offerings seem slim. :frowning:

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I've owned a Palm Tungsten T for over two years and I've alternated between AeroPlayer and Pocket Tunes.

They've both vied for top spot in terms of quality and ease of use, with Pocket Tunes edging out AeroPlayer as the standard music player on Palm's latest offering, the LifeDrive.

Either way, they're both vast improvements over RealOne.

AeroPlayer

Pocket Tunes

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
On my Treo 650 the two that I use are pocket tunes and tcpmp (the core pocket multimedia player).

pocket tunes is a general all around good mp3 player, I primamrily use it for it's support of shoutcast. Tcpmp is actually a video player that supports playing mp3s, tcpmp is free for use and is being updated pretty frequently right now.

http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've downloaded Pocket Tunes and Aeroplayer but haven't tried them yet. One of them had an option to play WMA files, which would be nice. It was a bit pricier, though.

Tcpmp is new to me. I'll check it out.

I can't figure out Real's policy, though. Why do they make it so hard to download a player? Why in the world would I give them my credit card number to try a free audio player? Makes no sense.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
If the Core player is anything like Betaplayer for Pocket PC (same manufacturer) it is truly excellent for viewing video.

Not very pretty when listening to music, but it works really well... at least on the PPC, never tried the Palm variant. :)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Hey, while on the subject I had this question burning in my mind recently.

How far off are we from having a decent PDA/cell phone/mp3 player device all in one? I hate stuffing my pockets with a bulky mobile + ipod. Those Blackberries are looking better every year, but is mp3 storage still limited by how big your memory stick is?

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Well, I'm a pretty big advocate of the treo line of pda phones. There's very little that I can't do on mine. It's still limited by the sdcard, but with how inexpensive large ones are becoming that's becoming less and less of an issue. Not to mention that with the wireless internet access you can tune into shoutcast stations to listen to them as well.

Check out mytreo.net to see what all the Treo's are capable of.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Expected in the third quarter is the HTC Universal/T-Mobile MDA Pro/Vodafone VPA IV/Orange SPV 3G/Q-Tek 4040... it's a device with a VGA screen, Windows Mobile 5, Tri-band; 3G/GPRS and a clamshell keyboard. Looks very interesting indeed; having used a VGA Pocket PC for a while now I could never go back to a mere QVGA device and the Universal looks like a very nice device with built-in phone and wireless functions. It has wifi in addition to the 3G/GPRS which is nice.

A first look of it is at http://dalecoffing.typepad.com/my_we...impressio.html

This device may well cause me to give up my Fujitsu-Siemens LOOX 720, but we'll see. Probably won't be cheap.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Hey I did some Googling on that phone and it looks sweet!

Even plays AAC files :emoji_thumbsup: Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely be reading some reviews when they start coming in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks