MP3 Player HD Question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Nick Sievers, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I have finally decided to purchase an MP3 Player and am leaning towards an iRiver H120 so if anyone has anything negative I should know about that model could they please chime in.

But my real question is the HD in the MP3 players, are these just standard laptop HD's? Because if I decide I need a bigger HD later on, will be possible to replace without having to buy a whole new player?

Cheers,

2. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

I don't know about the iRiver, but the iPod hard drive is physically smaller than a laptop hard drive (1.8" drive for iPod vs. 2.5" drive for laptop). That's how they made the iPod so small.

The iPod Mini drives are even smaller. People who have opened iPod Minis have reported that they use CompactFlash-type hard drives.

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I think the iPod minis use the toshiba HDs that are under an inch or something.

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

If it uses a standard drive I'm sure someone will find a way to hack it. I have an Archos with a 20GB drive and I believe it can be replaced. I know some people have figured out how to add more memory to it to increase the buffer, not that I'm going to try that though. You need to do some searching for dedicated forums for either hacking MP3 players or the iRiver.

5. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

Keith,

I have the same unit and I've read on an Archos forum that some people have replaced/hacked the unit's 20 gig drive with a 40+ gig drive.
    http://forums.funmp3players.com/forum/default.asp

Regarding the Archos Jukebox/Recorder...I've had my unit for a few years now and it has got to be the coolest toy I own. The unit operates on 2 AA rechargeable/replaceable batteries, records either analog or digital sources directly into variable bitrate MP3s and can be used as an external hard drive, (USB 2.0) for temporary storage or data transfer between PCs.

The newer models now have FM tuners as well as MPEG 4 video capabilities built in. Neat stuff!!!

Regards,
    -Gary