MP3 Player drive recognition in XP

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Tommy_N, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Hello everybody,

I am interested in purchasing an mp3 player, preferably one for $250 or less. I am also going to use the player for data storage.

I frequently find myself using different computers and I will not be able to install software on every new computer I use.

Are there any players that are automatically recognized as a drive by Windows XP? My boss has a flash storage device that does not need to have software installed each time he uses it.

Additionally are there any players that I could connect to my digital camera (Canon Powershot series)? Ideally instead of purchasing more compact flash memory I could just transfer my pics to the mp3 player.

Thanks

Tom

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I use a Sandisk 256 meg, and it's recognized as "removable storage" so you should be fine.

Brent

3. Kraig Lang

Kraig Lang Stunt Coordinator

How much space are you looking for?

in the mini arena (around 5Gb) you've got a few, like the Carbon, the Zen Micro, the H10,...

in the larger sizes, you're more limited. I believe the iRiver are MSC compliant (Show up as a drive letter).

Unfortunately, I don't believe that there are any on the market right now that will allow for direct connect to Digital Cameras. I believe that this is a next generation function that will be coming out within the year.

4. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the quick responses.

Size - around 5GB is fine.

Originally posted by Kraig

I was just reading through the Rio Carbon's owners manual on-line and it seems to indicate that software installation is necessary. Is this just for using it as a drive or is this to get all the features?

Thanks
    Tom

5. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

USB flash and/or pen drives are probably what you're looking for. There are quite a few brands out there:
    • Apacer Handy Steno
    • BUSLink
    • CigarPRO
    • Dane-Elec zMate Pen
    • Executive Pen Drive
    • Lexar JumpDrive
    • Pen Drive
    • PQI iStick
    • SanDisk Cruzer[/list=a]

6. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

If the Carbon is like the Karma, then you will need to install the software to use it.

The only MP3 player that I know of that will show up as an external drive without software is the iRiver. They have a number of different sizes and they're very nice MP3 players. I'd recommend checking them out.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I have an iRiver, a 40GB harddrive model. I can vouch for that iRiver does USB very well, and no software installs required.

It even works when I hook it up to my Pocket PC, which has usb host functionality. Very nifty.

8. Kraig Lang

Kraig Lang Stunt Coordinator

Nope, the Carbon does not require a specialized driver. The software they are talking about is Rio Music Management software, which is actually not too bad.

I love my little Carbon. Because of it, I gave my brother my Zen Xtra and bought a Karma, which is definitely the best sounding player I've used.

If you want to broaden your choices, you can get pretty much any player you want and keep the software that you would need (driver, manager,...etc.) on a jump drive. I did that with my Zen. It would take me a couple of minutes to dump the driver on whatever machine I was in front of and I was off an running.