mp3 PC server questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Reno, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

How does one usually incorporate a mp3 PC server into their system? Don't you need a screen to see what songs you are selecting? Where does it all fit in with the rest of your equipment? The idea is intriguing to me, but I don't see how it would fit with the rest of my gear.

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    The server would just hold all the MP3s, and you'd be able to acess the files via the network and play them in WINAMP in the other computers connected to the same network...

at least thats what i THINK it is... thats how i would do it...

3. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

It all depends on how interconnected you want things.
    The simplest solution is of course to use your PC to control the software, and just run a digital line out (many sound cards now have these) to your receiver.
    However if you don't want to go to your PC to get sound everytime, then you will want to set up an infrared receiver, as well as a remote control program. IRman and Redrat 2 are popular IR receivers. Girder is the program of choice that can control both of these (and has links to them).
    Thus you can use your remote to automatically start up pre-selected playlists and toggle through them.
    If you want even more control, run an output to your TV or some other remote location, that way you can use the remote to view the files and get more selection that way.