MP3 or OGG?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Henry Carmona, May 15, 2005.

1. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Ive done some searching and it seems that ogg files are superior to MP3's.

However, id like to know if there are any portable music players that offer ogg capabilities?

How many of you encode in ogg?

Ive always used LAME for my MP3 encoding and love it, however im always up for learning more and trying something better.

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    seems that most iriver players are ogg compatible.

CJ

3. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Most of my collection is done with LAME. I've encoded a few cds in ogg, and can't really tell the difference. I have a hard enough time telling the difference between a LAME VBR 96-320 mp3 and a wav file, so it's no surprise I can't hear the superiority of the ogg files. And as you said, mp3 is much more abundant, which is why I never gave ogg much thought. You should try encoding some ogg files yourself instead of listening to others, and see if you can distinguish them from mp3s. If I recall though, you have to do an average bit rate with ogg, so the files are generally larger then a LAME VBR. This could explain the increase quality. But if you really want great quality, go with something like FLAC, which is lossless compression.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

The downside with them is that although they are about 50% the size of the original CD media, they are still much larger then mp3 and ogg, so you'll probably need one of these HDDs if you have a large enough collection. [​IMG]

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I did a quick search for audio comparisons of compression formats recently. I didn't find much good information, but the few bits I found preferred WMA (Microsoft's audio codec) and AAC (Apple's) to both MP3 and OGG. And one considered OGG to be the worst of the four.

And I'm not surprised that newer codecs would be better than MP3. Four years ago, I was ripping CDs with RealAudio's format because it was clearly better than MP3.

But for current modest uses, I use MP3 on a portable and WMA for my work computer.

If I were to build a media player now, I'd do as Greg suggests, and rip losslessly for primary storage, then make a second, compressed copy (as WMA or AAC, probably), for a portable player.

If you find useful audio comparisons, please post links.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Yea but just by a little, and at the lower bitrates. Above 224kbps or so it's near impossible to hear a difference.

The cool thing about Ogg is it's open-source and royalty free. You'll find that many game developers use Ogg for audio files for the latter reason.

6. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Ogg requires floating-point math, whereas MP3 requires just integer math. This is probably the biggest disadvantage of using Ogg. During playback, it sucks processor power like [email protected] at high-priority. On dedicated playback devices, it shouldn't be a problem, though playback devices generally don't go as far on a battery charge while using Ogg.

7. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    Thanks guys. I couldnt find all that ive read, and some are boring reads (mostly cuz im not all that well versed in the ogg lingo) but here are a couple reads, albeit a little old.

Not really sure how to read this one:
    http://delphi.scholz.dk/articles/vorbis_vs_mp3/

http://www.elitegeek.org/modules.php...rticle&sid=191

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...hp/t23355.html

If you have time and read it, please explain to me what you get out of any or others you might find.

From one of the testers, he seems to be an astute listener of classical and says that in his LAME tests, he heard many artifacts and preferred OGG or MPC (whatever that is).

I also have seen that OGG is slightly larger than MP3 as well, but im not concerend with slight file size differences. Maybe its wrong for me to expect quality from a lossless format, but i do like MP3 encoding and think it sounds good done in LAME and a good ripper.

Im not into compressing down to 64 or 128 stuff, i do believe WMC probably holds an advantage there, but i can also hear a difference between that and say a 192 or 256 VBR encoding. After that, its hard to tell the difference.

But if ogg can sound as good as a 256vbr at say 175vbr and save some space then that great. But then where to play it? I havnt checked, but i dont think iPod is compatible is it?

Thanks.

8. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    Thanks Brian, that may be what ive read about; that OGG uses a different algorhythm that doesnt creat the hiss/background noise of MP3.

But if it also drains batteries faster then i dont see much of an advantage. Kinda like all them drug commercials that will cure this symtom but give you hell in the process [​IMG]

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

While I have not tried OGG, I have done some comparisons between Apple's AAC and various MP3 encodings. I found that at the lower 128K bit rate AAC outperformed MP3 encodings created via iTunes. However, when I compared 192K AAC vs. 192K VBR MP3 encoded via LAME, I could not tell the difference. I did not try 128K LAME MP3's, though. I have settled on 192K LAME VBR MP3's for the best compromise in sound quality vs. file size vs. file compatibility for my setup -- the 128K AAC files did not sound that great after I upgraded my headphones.

FYI, my current portable setup is a 4th gen 40GB iPod with Shure E3c earbuds. Previously I was using Sony EX71SL earbuds.

10. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

My Iriver H120 supports OGG. That's what I've encoded all my CD's in and it sounds terrific and I have not noticed much battery loss at all.

11. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

The Rio Karma supports both OGG and FLAC. [​IMG]