MP3 or Minidisc

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chad Ferguson, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

I'm in the market for a small music player for mainly jogging. I was hoping to get some opinions on what to get. Or at least what options I should be looking for. Someone told me that Minidisc players can come with an optical out which sounds like a nice little bonus feature. Any info will help.
    Thank you
    P.S. I did do a search but all I was finding was receiver info and about car stereo players that play MP3's.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chad, go with minidisc. For practical applications, minidisc sounds better. What I mean is that unless you go to higher data rates, MP3 sounds like garbage when compared to minidisc, and those higher data rates are often impractical for portable use. Now, if you are going to use something like the Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox, you will have plenty of storage capacity, but I would still go with minidisc. Minidisc sounds great, is a great size for portable use, and has great editing capability. Minidisc is the ticket.

3. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Home decks will/can have an optical out. The portables usually just have a mini-optical in; so you can dub from a cd player to it (if a recorder).